• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice please - im confused - neuter???

kelzuna

Warren Scout
:? just been to our new vets with Liquorice (moved areas). Liquorice is 8month old male rex (house bun) and is currently unneutered.
The reason he is unneutered is:

1) We dont have any other buns (contraception not needed)
2) He doesnt display any aggressive behaviour and is litter trained
3) Our previous vet said if all the above were true neutering wouldnt be needed - why put him through it?

Anyway, been to new vet - quite a young girl (not sure if that instills confidence in me????) and she recommended getting him castrated....mainly because of the risk of teticular tumor risks.

He needs to get his tear ducts flushed as he has always had a weepy eye (she checked his teeth as previous vet did and said they were fine) which she said she would kill two birds with one stone....put him under anesthetic to castrate and perform tear duct flush.

What should i do? Should we get him neutered...do the benefits outweigh the risks of anesthetic etc??? Stress of operation???? Im so confused!!!! Please help!!!

I would always reccommed having it done for health and behavioural, you definately notice the difference even in a well behaved bun...

Unless your bun is old, theres not as high a risk with the op as there used to be, i think vets are more advanced and get the "job" done much quicker these days

Mmmm - not heard of testicular cancer in boys - hopefully someone with more knowledge will post soon.
Given the info above I wouldn't worry about getting him neutered, but if he is having a GA anyway a neuter is a really simple op for the boys, and gives you the option of getting him a girly in the future....really depends on if you've made a definate decision about a partner for him......

Testicular cancer is possible in un-neutered bucks but not on the same sort of scale as uterine cancer in females.

I think if he's going under for a tear duct flush I would let them do him, unless you have very strong reasons not to, and although at the moment he's not hormonal or spraying that could all change come the spring:shock:.

We always do as much as possible when having animals neutered so teeth removal, tear duct flush, coats clipped, spurs burred etc are all done at the time of the Ga. It's then cheaper for us and less risk to the animal.

Good luck in whatever you decide:) if your not happy about it then say so he's your animal, they can only advise not force you in to it.:D

Back