• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

bone infection

touie

Wise Old Thumper
has anyone had a rabbit with a bone infection? Fudge has an infection in his lower jaw, I'm just wondering what the long term prognosis is :(

has anyone had a rabbit with a bone infection? Fudge has an infection in his lower jaw, I'm just wondering what the long term prognosis is :(

Oh dear :cry: I am affraid the prognosis isnt too good :cry:
Most jaw bone infections (osteomyelitis) are the result of elongated and infected tooth roots.
How did your Vet diagnose the problem? It would really need an Xray or surgery to know that Osteomyelitis was involved ?

Janex

I am sorry to hear about Fudge. It really is upsetting.

One of my buns was diagnosed with his lower teeth have grown through jaw. I cried for a week until we saw the vet again.

We are having to "control" any further damage by him having conscious dentals approx every 4 weeks, maybe longer once it is under control and he has just had a full one under GA. My vet says we will have to continue like this i.e. monthly dentals and then approx ever 4-6 months a GA.

He was only diagnosed late August and he is fine in himself and my vet had been brilliant. Having a good vet makes all the difference. I do feel that if I had not found my vet at the right time, Homer's outlook would not have been as good.

Oh dear :cry: I am affraid the prognosis isnt too good :cry:
Most jaw bone infections (osteomyelitis) are the result of elongated and infected tooth roots.
How did your Vet diagnose the problem? It would really need an Xray or surgery to know that Osteomyelitis was involved ?

Janex

he has had both. I spotted the lumps in the summer at his last Myxi and the vet said to keep an eye on them! as his teeth were a bit over grown I thought it would be good to have xrays done at the same time.

The vet has filed his teeth right down to take the pressure off the roots. He did say the prognosis wasn't good and he probably only had 12-18 months before it couldn't be managed any more with anti-biotics and pain killers, but I thought I'd double check.

oh dear, Hobbes has an abscess and the infection has gone into his jaw bone. Will treating him with antibiotics make him better or is it likely to get worse? :(

oh dear, Hobbes has an abscess and the infection has gone into his jaw bone. Will treating him with antibiotics make him better or is it likely to get worse? :(

Aggressive abx therapy is needed, preferably based on the results of culture and sensitivity testing. But in the first instance (before culture results become available) Depocillin Injections would be what my Vet prescibes. I always give anyBun on Depocillin Questran aswell to try to minimise the risk of Penicillin induced enteritis.

http://homepage.mac.com/mattocks/morfz/questran.html

Another good abx is Cephalexin. This, given via injection is less risky than Depocillin re gut dysbiosis and Cephalexin has good tissue penetration *including bone*

Vibes for Hobbes and Fudge

Janex

Fudge seems to have stopped eating again already:( I've just come in from work and he has most of his veg and half of his pellets from breakfast left :(

rabbit vets not in todaY so receptionist going to ask him tomorrow and get back to me. Poor Fudge isn't looking at all happy today :(

rabbit vets not in todaY so receptionist going to ask him tomorrow and get back to me. Poor Fudge isn't looking at all happy today :(

Honestly its unbelievable that some Vets think Rabbits dont need pain relief !!
I bet if the Vet had a jaw full of infection he/she would be screaming for Morphine.

Is there no Vet on duty at all ? Surely any Vet could prescribe a one off dose of analgesia for a Rabbit in pain. I am affraid if Fudge were my Bun I'd be *insisting* on it.

Poor boy :cry:

Janex

I had a bunny Alfie he had absess which went to bone and infected his jaw bone his teeth were really bad,He had two back teeth removed and all his from teeth removed he had antibiotic beads packed into his absess Alfie had penicillin injections for 6 months He also had to have a dental done every 6-8 weeks He did really well,and did improve after the penicillion injections he also ate very well without his front teeth
Unfortatly he died last year at the vets when he went in for his routine dental:cry:
Estelle it makes me wonder if your bunny and Alfie were related,they were from the same place wernt they?

Back