• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

sharp teeth :( poss an op

greengirlie

Young Bun
hi there

this morning when i went to feed my buns i noticed that Dot (black angora) refused to eat anything and even turned her nose up to a carrot and some apple and EVEN PELLETS (def summin wrong :() was so worried i took half day to take her to the vets. took harry too just incase.

it seems she has sharp back teeth, but it was no prob last night and she ate loads of hay, pellets and carrot etc... i did notice a few teeny poos but didint think anything of it until this morning....

she has to go back friday for a check up and poss an op to file the teeth. she is eating hay which im happy about as thats the main thing.. i was given some fibreplex but that was a mission to get her to have :(.. she is not a happy bun and sits with her back to me :(

i hope she will be ok.. not noticed her to drink yet but she eating so am pleased....

shellie

If she is still no better maybe best to take her tomorrow again for a check, Pringle gets his molars filed down every couple of months and when his are getting long its sometimes hard to tell as he acts normal, but not eating is definately one of the signs that its the teeth. Just make sure she is poo'ing and drinking, do you have a syringe that maybe you can give her some water/mushy pellets if she wont eat and take her to vet tomorrow again. xx

no i dont have a syringe.. i need to get a rescue pack for them in case. i just given her some broccoli and half a carrot which she is eating (huge relief and smiles)
at least some fluid from carrot, vet didnt notice if dehydrated.. sheonly seemed off this morning... im such a paranoid bunny mum but im glad i took her as soon as i did as it could have got worse if gone unnoticed. im not too concerned since she eating again, but this morning you could see she wanted to eat but she jst turned away.. bless her heart x

no i dont have a syringe.. i need to get a rescue pack for them in case. i just given her some broccoli and half a carrot which she is eating (huge relief and smiles)
at least some fluid from carrot, vet didnt notice if dehydrated.. sheonly seemed off this morning... im such a paranoid bunny mum but im glad i took her as soon as i did as it could have got worse if gone unnoticed. im not too concerned since she eating again, but this morning you could see she wanted to eat but she jst turned away.. bless her heart x

I wouldnt worry to much if she is eating now, maybe she just felt a bit off, best to keep an eye on poo though and if she is drinking or not, hope she is ok :Dand dont worry im constantly worrying too :D xx

Hey chick - this is exactly the same as charlie!!!! The reaction to food came and went but cos he had a sore tongue that was worse for him.... with the fibrepex, i tried for ages to get him to eat it by putting the seringe end in his mouth only to find that he would eat it off a tissue or on parsley!!! :roll: its actualyl quite tasty and molly was after it too!!! :lol:

If you find you want a seringe then I have a few here so just pop over.. if Dot is eating her hay then thats th main thing but any worries nip back to the vets - better for peace of mind :D if she is still not eating too much then you can ask for interim pain relief ... hopefully the op wont be too long in the future and all will be better for her sooner. Charlie was fine off and on before the op with food - spose like us if we get an ulcer or bite our lip etc

We found charlie's sharp molars about 10 days before the actual op... for after the op Kirstie suggested I get things liek apple branches adn willow branches etc for chewing aswell as plenitful supplies of hay... another reason why i dont give so many pellets now so they HAVE to eat hay... that ad veg they eat with a sidewards grinding of teeth which wears them down. Pellets is just up and down so no wear at all really....

Keep an eye on her tonight adn see how she is tomoz, if still concerned in the morning then go back tomoz after work :D Hope she feels better soon - you kwo where I am if you need anything :D

Also Kirstie suggested cutting up the hay to help too.... I also got some dried herbs from the NATURALS collection at P@H which he loved and helped with the munching :D

Back