• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hobbes has an abscess *update

Estelle

Wise Old Thumper
I noticed yesterday that Hobbes had a big lump on his jaw so took him to the vets first thing this morning. I have to take him back tomorrow for him to have it drained under anesthetic. The vet said it must have been there a while but i haven't seen it, it seems to have grown suddenly as I gave him a good check over on Sunday and didn't see it then :(

I'm not too happy with the vet as he said bring him back tomorrow and don't feed him after midnight :roll:I will be giving him plenty of hay tonight and some pellets in the morning before he goes in. I hope he will be ok without Phoebe as they won't let her go in with him :(

Fingers crossed he will be ok.

Last edited:
Cant you find another vet :? abcesses are so nasty, not something I would want someone inexperienced with rabbits to tackle.

Lots of (((vibes))) for Hobbes.

Poor Hobbes:(
Bobby has an abcess on his jaw, which I first spotted beginning of October. It was first of all drained under anaesthetic, and he had a tooth+root removed, but it started to fill up again, and he had it drained whilst he was awake. He's had a very long course of Baytril, but nothing for about 4 weeks now, and the abcess hasn't started filling up again. I'm delighted about this!
I'm sure you'll be able to get him sorted. I don't think Bobby will ever be 'cured' but he's a very happy bunny and doesn't seem to notice it at all.
Good luck at the vet tomorrow.

oooh dear poor Hobbes :( Is that your usual vet?

yes but i've only had to take them there for vaccinations and neutering. None of my rabbits have been ill before. My friends bunny had an abcess behind her eye which was treated there successfully so i'm hoping it will be ok :?

Do you think he will be ok to go back outside when he comes home? I'm worried as its so cold but I want him to go back with Phoebe as soon as possible as they are very attached to each other. I have a snugglesafe to put in the bed compartment.

I brought Bobby and Ruby into a temporary run in the garage after Bobby's op. He was eating and pooping as soon as he came home, adn Ruby was REALLy stressed out in a different environment, so I'm not sure I would do that again.
However, it is supposed to be getting colder, so I'm not sure? Maybe monitor him as he comes home to see how he is.

have you checked which vet your friend used at the practise? There's only one at mine that I'd let near my animals - they do vary a lot. When you go to fetch him it's probably a good idea to take Phoebe in a carrier in the car, and drive them around a bit - he'll smell funny and she might attack him if you just put them in their normal territory together.

have you checked which vet your friend used at the practise? There's only one at mine that I'd let near my animals - they do vary a lot. When you go to fetch him it's probably a good idea to take Phoebe in a carrier in the car, and drive them around a bit - he'll smell funny and she might attack him if you just put them in their normal territory together.

She doesn't know, they don't tell you who is going to be operating on them and you usually end up seeing a different vet everytime you go there.

I did think about taking Phoebe with me when i collect him. I think it would be a good idea.

I will see how he is tomorrow and what the vet suggests. When i had them neutered and spayed they always suggest keeping them indoors overnight. They can go in the dining room, which is quite cool if they need to stay indoors. Phoebe isn't keen on being inside but I don't want Hobbes to be cold.

What a worry these rabbits are!

If he is having a GA he needs to stay in at least overnght. Aneasthetic lowers the body temperature and an animal coming round and in recovery will struggle to self regulate (as do sick animals). Also energy expended on keeping himself warm is energy not expended on getting better!

If he is having a GA he needs to stay in at least overnght. Aneasthetic lowers the body temperature and an animal coming round and in recovery will struggle to self regulate (as do sick animals). Also energy expended on keeping himself warm is energy not expended on getting better!

Thanks, i will get the dog crate set up for them. I will be able to keep a better eye on him indoors and no doubt i'll have to give him antibiotics for a while so it will be easier to move them inside. I'm sure Phoebe will love nibbling my new dining room table :roll::D

Thanks, i will get the dog crate set up for them. I will be able to keep a better eye on him indoors and no doubt i'll have to give him antibiotics for a while so it will be easier to move them inside. I'm sure Phoebe will love nibbling my new dining room table :roll::D

Estelle I have a foster bunny in the house at the moment and he chased the cats and tried to mount them :shock::lol: Plums are booked in for chopping :lol: The cats are used to bunnies but they are shocked right now :lol: Hope all goes well with Hobbes xx

Estelle I have a foster bunny in the house at the moment and he chased the cats and tried to mount them :shock::lol: Plums are booked in for chopping :lol: The cats are used to bunnies but they are shocked right now :lol: Hope all goes well with Hobbes xx

:lol: oh dear, poor cat!

I'd keep them in for a day or 2, its been bitter out there today and set to get worse.... of we could have a heat wave, who knows.:lol:

My indoor foster bun chewed through the playstation controller cable yesterday, my daughters weren't amused.:lol::lol:

I'd keep them in for a day or 2, its been bitter out there today and set to get worse.... of we could have a heat wave, who knows.:lol:

My indoor foster bun chewed through the playstation controller cable yesterday, my daughters weren't amused.:lol::lol:

oh dear, naughty bunny! :lol:

It is freezing cold out there today. They won't want to go back outside after a few nights in!

Our rabbit had a jaw abscess too which appeared very quickly so your vet may not necessarily be right about it being there for a while. I definitely wouldn't stop feeding him either before you take him in.

I hope Hobbes make a full recovery, jaw abscesses can be tricky but even the worst ones can be cured as our beloved Benny proved!

Thanks, i'm sure it only appeared yesterday although i had a feeling he wasn't quite as happy as normal last week but thought it was just the cold weather.
I'll give him his food in the morning. I don't want him to be hungry all day.

Back