• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How much do these bunnies cost!

Vanessa.B

Mama Doe
Have just spent another £90 with The Hay Experts

:( for me

:D for the bunnies

Fingers crossed the bulk order of hay will last a couple of months - our three's fave hay is Oxbow Timothy!

Have suggested to HE to consider a loyalty card/discount record for regular customers!

Sorry, but I pay £4 for a bale of hay and the rabbits like it just as much as the expensive stuff. I couldn't possibly justify the amount you've just spent, that's more than one week's food shopping for us!!!

some of us have no choice though - I have to buy my hay from them because i don't happen to have a convenisent source of hay bales. *shrug* although even from them £90 of hay will last a while!

PS kayjay that bunny in your sig is lovely but ridiculous! :lol: :lol:

Last edited:
I spends loads with they hay experts, they have lovely hay and all mine are pleased with the variety. £90 well spent I reckon.

inner city living doesnt give me a choice no local farms on my doorstep.. i use the hay experts and i too think its money well spent :D lucky buns

Alvin likes the oat and barley hay, i thought he liked the brome hay when we got the sample packs but the little monster ignores it now i got a bag for him :evil:

I've tried the expensive hay for mine, and they're not 'that' bothered by it - not to justify the extra cost anyway. The green dust free hay (can't remember where it came from) went down well with guinea pigs but not with the buns. They seem to prefer the baled stuff and I buy the odd bag of expensive hay to top up. I am lucky living where I live, but have a look round where you live, farm shops are springing up all over. Because I don't have a lot of money I found myself giving them smaller amounts of the expensive hay, conscious of the cost, whereas now I give them tons of hay which they love to sit and chew.

to be fair i always look for the cheapest...excluding that really pathetic half brown stuff that comes from some pet shops they're not fussed what kind of hay they have, so I like to economise. :D if anyone knows of a farm shop in leeds let me know! :(

I buy big bags of meadow hay and mix in timothy hay, pure dried grass and brome hay, (from THE) their favourite is the pure dried grass which is good because its fairly cheap, I don't buy the brome hay very often I think its expensive for the amount you get so they only get handfuls. I'm going to give that dust free hay a go soon, supposedly one bag unpacked will fill a bin liner.

im a 10 min walk from the city centre, without driving a good half hour there really are no farm shops... im not fussed tho what gets spent on Alvin isnt going towards destroying my liver ;) and you should see the veg bill, im sure hes too spoiled!!

I have to drive 20mins to the horse supplier for my hay bales but I find that way more justifiable for me than spending extortionate amounts on expensive hay. My buns too love the hay from bales, but each to their own, like has been said it's easier for some of us to get to suppliers than others.

im a 10 min walk from the city centre, without driving a good half hour there really are no farm shops!!

I'm really close to the city centre as well (Nottingham not Birmingham tho') and there are loads of farm shops in the local area...you'd be surprised how many farm shops are located in city suburbs.

Amy

I've got no car and have just spent £109 with west wales willows - will last my lot about 5 or 6 weeks :(

i have a farm on the same road as me whod oes me a gigantic bale for £3, which lats 4 bunies 8 weeks, 6 weeks if i have boarders/fosteres here too :D:D

plus i have a huge workshop which is unused to store it in!

yay

but i DO want t convert the empty workshop (which is so big!!) into a house 4 for bunnies and make a gourp of four and let them free range in the workshop. but my dad says no :(

My problem is storage, if I had somewhere to put them then I'd buy bales.

That's my problem too. I buy the Dust Free Hay which is relatively expensive (£39.99 for ten bags) but it's good quality, the rabbits and pigs love it, they deliver it to my doorstep and - as it's packaged in individual bags - it's easy to store! :D

Once the buns move into their shed though I should have more room to store a bale ;)

That's my problem too. I buy the Dust Free Hay which is relatively expensive (£39.99 for ten bags) but it's good quality, the rabbits and pigs love it, they deliver it to my doorstep and - as it's packaged in individual bags - it's easy to store! :D

Once the buns move into their shed though I should have more room to store a bale ;)

Do the bags really unpack to fill a dustbin liner though, if they do I'll order a couple of bags but otherwise I'll continue buying the usual stuff.

I count myself lucky that I have a horse and buy bales from the yard where I keep her for £3. In the Summer I use my horse feed supplier for hay :D I do sometimes top up with expensive hays but not that often. It must be difficult for those without a car or who live a long away from a farm shop :( I would have to shop online for hay if nothing was local. Its nice to give them a treat too :lol:

Which is better, soft or stalky? I'm assuming stalky is better for their teeth but I usually give them soft meadow hay? :?

Back