• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Vets visit for Melanie and Prince this evening :(

toffee

Mama Doe
:(

Prince is still less alert than usual, although he's eating ok and still runs about. He just seems not quite with it so I booked him in for this evening.

Then, when I got home on Monday, I noticed Melanie has a bald patch on her leg and one behind her left ear. :( The skin doesn't look irritated, there's just no hair and it's quite big patches - 1inch x 2inch ish.

I'm so worried. These guys are my free range bunnies and I love them to bits!! Luckily I got them insured in December.

Any idea what could be up?

I dont know to be honest, maybe with regards to hairloss someone has been overgrooming?

Hope they are both OK.

That's what I wondered because there's no irritation.

Melanie couldn't have done it herself though because she can't reach behind her ear and Prince couldn't have done the inside of her thigh so I think I've discounted this theory.

What about mites? Or something bacterial?

I found this on the internet -
(http://www.russelrabbit.com/languages/sus/27.htm)

"Parasites - rabbits are prone to a number of internal and external parasites, including fleas, fur mites, worms and coccidiosis. Pet rabbits should be kept free of all parasites to keep them in optimum health. Signs of parasites are numerous; from loss of coat condition and lethargic behavior, to diarrhea or sore skin, depending upon the type and place of the infection. Seek veterinary advice for diagnosis and treatment."

Could this explain both their symptoms?

Usually with surface mites and even burrowing mites you would expect to see some sign of irritation.

Still your vet may take a skin scraping to examine under the microscope for 'unwanted guests'.

Back