• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit lead?

AngelAnn

Young Bun
I was bought a rabbit lead for christmas by a friend and I'm reluctant to use it. Is it good to put the rabbit's on a lead? I'd only use it for the wet days when I want them to have alittle fresh air and nibble on grass.

I personally wouldnt use one :D

Is it because you want your bunnies to play in the garden? If your gardens not secure I would suggest buying or making a secure run so your rabbits can still have a play outside without being restricted with a lead :D

My bunnies all play out in the rain (not really heavy rain!) and they love it :lol: I just leave the hutch/runs open, the shed open and the back door open so they have plenty of places to shelter if they want to :D And I just make sure they are dry afterwards x

Ok cool :lol: Not just me then :oops: :lol:

Mine have a choice of playing in the garden or house and will go out when its raining and have a run about. Only light rain though, I dont let them play out when the weather is terrible :lol:

Buns can get chills (snuffles) from grazing on wet grass dont do it!

Surely Not?

Now I am worried. I let mine out the minute I get home from work whatever the weather, on the basis that they will decide for themselves if they want to get out and stretch their legs or if they think its too cold/wet and would rather stay huddled inside.

Are you saying that they would be better left inside their hutch/shed if the grass is damp?:?:?

I use harnesses for mine. It isn't really that dangerous as long as it's not a dangerous harness and used properly.
Romavaskerseg.jpg

Here is Aroma wearing a bunny sports harness. I sometimes go to rabbit jumping contests, and the rules state the ring to fasten the lead must be placed on the back of the harness, not in the middle or around the neck, as it puts too much strain on the neck. This way it divides the force on the neck and belly if the rabbit starts to pull. As you can see the rabbit doesn't mind the heartless:D

You can't walk a rabbit like a dog, don't expect it to come running if you pull the lead, quite on the contrary it'll probably start pulling the other direction even more:roll:

My rabbits have been used to harnesses since they were small (it's not recommended to start until they are 3 months because their bones are too soft earlier) but I have also tried it on older rabbits with various results.
Some lay down flat and refuse to move, others don't even notice the harness is there. :roll:
The first times at least it might be smart to give the rabbit some treat when attaching the harness, I've experienced many wants to chew the harness when I try to get it around the neck, a banana or piece of pellets keeps them occupied.
One important rule however is this: NEVER leave your rabbit wearing a harness unattended. It could entangle itself in the lead or get stuck, leading to disaster. :cry: The first time I ever heard my rabbit really cry was when Zakura got the lead around her leg. I got it of quite quickly, (usually when that happens I just let go of the lead and try to capture the rabbit, to avoid pulling it's leg of:shock: ) Now I am careful to keep the lead of the ground when walking the buns and keep a close look on their back feet. :D
Also when Zakura was younger she tended to get her front paw stuck into the neck-ring, but that was only because the harness was far too big for her, I later got her a smaller harness.

For a completely other notice if my bunnies have been eating wet grass, even been outside in the rain, ever since they got their runs. They're not dead yet:roll: And what does wild bunnies do? Take the grass inside so it won't get wet during rain?

Last edited:
Dont worry about the wet grass thing, its a combination of repeated exposure to cold and wet in an immune deficient rabbits already carrying/exposed to pasteurella that will cause a 'Snuffles' flare up.

In other words basic neglect through poor accomodation, lack of shelter and bad hygiene management.

I think it depends on the bunny whether it is a good idea or not. Bailey has been on his to go outside a couple of times and he loved being out there, not bothered by the harness at all! He did the biggest binky ever when wearing his harness :D I know Luuna would freak out though if I tried it with her! Zakura's advice is great to keep them safe on a harness :)

I sometimes use a harness on my bunny. I have a special "chest harness" that doesn't put as much pressure on the bunnys throat at a normal "H-harness" as we call it in Norway :lol:

I only use a harness when I'm pretty sure nothing will upset bunny and cause it to try and escape. My bunny doesn't mind having a harness on and enjoys having a look out side the bunny run :D But he doesn't like being picked up again so that's something we have to work on.

Here's my bunny in his harness:

220120071658UInMmuCZpToUGnjigV.JPG

I sometimes use a harness on my bunny. I have a special "chest harness" that doesn't put as much pressure on the bunnys throat at a normal "H-harness" as we call it in Norway :lol:

I only use a harness when I'm pretty sure nothing will upset bunny and cause it to try and escape. My bunny doesn't mind having a harness on and enjoys having a look out side the bunny run :D But he doesn't like being picked up again so that's something we have to work on.

Here's my bunny in his harness:

220120071658UInMmuCZpToUGnjigV.JPG

Just to add in case anyone is confused, the one Aroma is wearing in my previous post (and all of my bunnies, since Ida's harness has to be ordered online) is a H-harness. ;)

I only used it when I did have a place for my buns to run( witch didnt last long:lol:)and if the bun got scared or didnt want to that day i wouldt focre it.

Sillyrabbit: So have mine to be honest. Although they are on concrete now, but they did go on wet grass.

Arent your buns rexs? If so dont put them on bare concrete becoz you ll have them end up with no fur on the hocks and very sore:cry: cover it in straw or thick woodshavings protect those feet as long as poss they will go bald eventually but bare concrete will do it so much faster!!!

Dont worry about the wet grass thing, its a combination of repeated exposure to cold and wet in an immune deficient rabbits already carrying/exposed to pasteurella that will cause a 'Snuffles' flare up.

In other words basic neglect through poor accomodation, lack of shelter and bad hygiene management.

I'd love to try Muppet in a harness, just for occasional roaming. He tolerates wearing the harness itself (looks a bit aggrieved!) but the one time I put the lead on, he panicked and bolted which wasnt nice for either of us.

Obviously I could (and may...) work at getting him used to it, but then I worried about what would happen if something frightened him and he bolted when on the lead. Either you hang onto the lead (and risk hurting the bunny) or you let go (and risk losing the bunny)... Not really sure how to work that :?

Back