• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Twinkle at the vets:( Update Dental

Hunnybunny2007

Warren Veteran
Had to take Twinkle to the vets, noticed her poos were small this morning and then stopped about 1.00 she also stopped eating and drinking. Have been to the vets, she cant feel a blockage, but thinks she has a small spur on one of her molars, she has had a 3 injections, and I have given her some science recovery. As yet no poos, but she has started eating hay and some kale, she won't touch the pellets. How long before the injections start taking effect?

Last edited:
Painkillers act pretty quickly but the metaclopromide can take 2-3 hours to see a result.

Quite often its the second injection of metaclop that finally seems to kick start the gut, it took Rocky two shots a few days ago.

Will be trying to get her into pets 4 vets at Gamston so they can look at her teeth, so glad she's a house bun, so noticed she was off straight away, the only other thing we noticed that yesterday she started chewing everything in her cage, litter tray, box, sticks everything! so that was probably a warning. Feel so useless:(

Last edited:
Hi Sue, sorry to hear about Twinkle. :(

Do you think that she could have injested something she was chewing yesterday? Like a bit of cardboard or something?

Amy

Hi Sue, sorry to hear about Twinkle. :(

Do you think that she could have injested something she was chewing yesterday? Like a bit of cardboard or something?

Amy

She was gnawing a box, but its all there, the vet couldn't find anything, she has not pooped for about 5 hours now, how long can she go without causing damage? She had bytril, metacam and metoc? and I have fed half a sachet of rabbit recovery. She has eaten hay and some kale herself, but no wee or anything. I am so worried:(

Last edited:
Is she is feeding herself she is not in pain.

Just wait for the metaclopromide to get to work on her gut now and her food should make a reappearence in no time.

She was gnawing a box, but its all there, the vet couldn't find anything, she has not pooped for about 5 hours now, how long can she go without causing damage? She had bytril, metacam and metoc? and I have fed half a sachet of rabbit recovery. She has eaten hay and some kale herself, but no wee or anything. I am so worried:(

Its good news that she has eaten a little. Try not to panic, I have nursed Buns who have not poo'd for almost 36 hours !!

If you can get Twinkle to hop about that will help. Put her some-where 'new' so she will want to investigate. Movement is as essential as medication when trying to get the guts going.

Sending poo vibes!!

Janex

Its good news that she has eaten a little. Try not to panic, I have nursed Buns who have not poo'd for almost 36 hours !!

If you can get Twinkle to hop about that will help. Put her some-where 'new' so she will want to investigate. Movement is as essential as medication when trying to get the guts going.

Sending poo vibes!!

Janex

Thanks Jane, was hoping you were around:D As well as Sooz
I have been chasing her up and down the living room, she has eaten a little kale on her own, but refuses to drink.
Is it worth phoning the vets again - will they be able to give her anything else.
Or shall I carry on panicking!

Last edited:
Thanks Jane, was hoping you were around:D As well as Sooz
I have been chasing her up and down the living room, she has eaten a little kale on her own, but refuses to drink.
Is it worth phoning the vets again - will they be able to give her anything else.
Or shall I carry on panicking!

If you have been giving her a syringed liquid feed she wont be thirsty ;)
Does she drink from a bottle? If so put a bowl of water down for her too. If she has a molar spur then it might be uncomfortable for her to use a sipper-bottle as the spur may scratch her tongue as she sips.

You could syringe her some water later.

Janex

Sorry Twinkle is not too good.

Just going through this myself and I have made sure that my bun had plenty of water - I gave her cold water with a splash of hot in it to make it room temperature - she had it in a bowl and she seemed to enjoy it. I did also syringe some water.

Don't forget some tummy rubs for Twinkle, I am convinced they have helped Katy.

Your vet sounds like they have done the right thing. I hope Twinkle feels better soon.

If you have been giving her a syringed liquid feed she wont be thirsty ;)
Does she drink from a bottle? If so put a bowl of water down for her too. If she has a molar spur then it might be uncomfortable for her to use a sipper-bottle as the spur may scratch her tongue as she sips.

You could syringe her some water later.

Janex
Thanks for your help, will put a bowl in, all she wants to do is sit, I have had a prob in the past with 2 of my other girls, but after a visit to the vets they were pooping within an hour or so. Is it worth trying the vets again - will they be able to give her anything else. Don't really want to stress her by taking her again, as she doesn't travel well.

Sue x

Last edited:
Sorry Twinkle is not too good.

Just going through this myself and I have made sure that my bun had plenty of water - I gave her cold water with a splash of hot in it to make it room temperature - she had it in a bowl and she seemed to enjoy it. I did also syringe some water.

Don't forget some tummy rubs for Twinkle, I am convinced they have helped Katy.

Your vet sounds like they have done the right thing. I hope Twinkle feels better soon.

Thanks, how do we cope with these girls, have been rubbing her tummy, now off to give her water in bowl. Thanks for help.
Suex

Last edited:
Ah, you are doing all that you can at the moment.

I know I have been hounding the vet all week as I was so worried as I have never experienced it before. It sounds like Twinkle has had the right meds but to settle your mind you could call them.

Theres little else you can do at the moment but encourage her to keep eating and moving about.

Tummy rubs will help keep her stimulated and comfortable.

I ocne got Caspian pooping again by puting him in a room with one of the rescues (rescue was caged) and because he felt the need to mark he pooped within 10 minutes!

If you feel she is dehydrated syringe feeding warm water will help lubrictae her guts.

:(
Theres little else you can do at the moment but encourage her to keep eating and moving about.

Tummy rubs will help keep her stimulated and comfortable.

I ocne got Caspian pooping again by puting him in a room with one of the rescues (rescue was caged) and because he felt the need to mark he pooped within 10 minutes!

If you feel she is dehydrated syringe feeding warm water will help lubrictae her guts.

feel like shes giving up, she lets me pick her up, which she never does, and lays on my lap. pushes the syringe out of her mouth. I have tried water on the fingers, but she won't lick. we fetched one of the other rabbits tunnels in but shes not interested. Think I may lose her

Last edited:
:(

feel like shes giving up, she lets me pick her up, which she never does, and lays on my lap. pushes the syringe out of her mouth. I have tried water on the fingers, but she won't lick. we fetched one of the other rabbits tunnels in but shes not interested. Think I may lose her

If you feel she is deteriorating that much then I would call the Vet again.
Please keep us posted

Janex

If you feel she is deteriorating that much then I would call the Vet again.
Please keep us posted

Janex

Have phoned the vet, they said she has had all the meds she can, and to take her to my own vet tomorrow. They are not keen to take her in as there is only one vet on:( I am syringe feeding water into her and trying to get the rescue stuff in her. She has taken a bit. Have now put one of the other girls litter trays and poops in with her to see if that gives her motivation.
Am rubbing her tummy, she tried to nip me just now, so that is a good sign hopefully. I would be grateful for her to poop anywhere now.
Thanks for your help. I really appreciate it.
Sue x
I have got fresh pineapple juice and infacol - should I try this or still wait for nature?

Last edited:
Have phoned the vet, they said she has had all the meds she can, and to take her to my own vet tomorrow. They are not keen to take her in as there is only one vet on:( I am syringe feeding water into her and trying to get the rescue stuff in her. She has taken a bit. Have now put one of the other girls litter trays and poops in with her to see if that gives her motivation.
Am rubbing her tummy, she tried to nip me just now, so that is a good sign hopefully. I would be grateful for her to poop anywhere now.
Thanks for your help. I really appreciate it.
Sue x
I have got fresh pineapple juice and infacol - should I try this or still wait for nature?

I dont know what Jane thinks but personally I would avoid the pineapple totally (im not convinced theres a medical benefit :?) and only give the Infacol if her tummy actually feels bloated or gassy.

I dont know what Jane thinks but personally I would avoid the pineapple totally (im not convinced theres a medical benefit :?) and only give the Infacol if her tummy actually feels bloated or gassy.

I'll just carry on with the water and tummy rubs.

Sue x

Last edited:
I hope she improves soon :( I don't have any more advice to add really, except to keep her nice and warm so that she doesn't have to use up energy doing that. Hopefully she will poo soon and once everything is moving again she will feel better.

Back