• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Feel useless : ( UPDATE Done it!! : ) pg 4

Thea & Bobbin

Warren Veteran
I have been trying to cut Bobbin's nails. I thought instead of going into the bathroom to do it I shall try in his room, there must be other people who do it in normal places of the house?

Well I can't even pick him up. It's pathetic, I have no will power, I just keep thinking I'm going to hurt him. If I do manage to get him I can't keep hold of him. He's just too strong and too fast. It must be because it's in his room, I can usually do it in the confined space of the bathroom. But how am I ever going to be able to pick him up with confidence? Oh and now he absolutely hates me, and for good reason too.

I feel completely bloody useless :cry:

Last edited:
I usually pick them up after petting them. This way they never know when I'm going to pick them up because I pet them more often :lol: But I know how frustrating it can be not being able to cut their nails without scratch marks and grumpy bunnies who kick and run away. It's not fun having to chase a bunny to get a hold of it :(

You know I think rabbits pick up your fear and anxiety, similar to the way dogs do.
You need to feel calm, tell yourself you can do it, approach him, pet him first if you want to and when you're ready pick him up without hesitation holding him firmly so that your not anxious you may drop him.
Someone posted how to do a bunny burrito, so once you've got him, wrap him up firmly with a leg sticking out and go for it!!
The hardest bit will be convincing yourself you can do it, but give it a go thinking to yourself that you're taking no messing:D Good luck!

I know how you feel, Sorrel is as strong as a cat and when we got her, she wouldn't be pickd up for a week. I usually stroke her while she lies on the floor, then lean right down to her and gradually scoop her up keeping her held against my chest so she has less avenues of escape. ...how do you usually get him to the bathroom??

for the actual nail cutting it's sometimes handy to wrap them in a towel, they are wriggly beasties.

good luck! it'll just be a matter oftiem, when i got my first bun it took nearly two months to be able to pick her up. :oops:

im useless too... since that time i dropped Alvin (well he jumped out of my arms as a baby) i havent had the bottle to pick him up.... poor ste is the bad guy and alvin proper fights him too...

ive been hoping that as he trusts us the picking up will be allowed but nope its not happening and i keep putting off the attempts :oops:

You know I think rabbits pick up your fear and anxiety, similar to the way dogs do.
You need to feel calm, tell yourself you can do it, approach him, pet him first if you want to and when you're ready pick him up without hesitation holding him firmly so that your not anxious you may drop him.
Someone posted how to do a bunny burrito, so once you've got him, wrap him up firmly with a leg sticking out and go for it!!
The hardest bit will be convincing yourself you can do it, but give it a go thinking to yourself that you're taking no messing:D Good luck!

I know, I tell myself to be strong, I'm calm and collected but it all happens so fast, and once he's escaped I feel hopeless!

Yes it was me that posted about the burrito! :rolleyes: :lol: It no longer works with him for some reason :?

...how do you usually get him to the bathroom??

for the actual nail cutting it's sometimes handy to wrap them in a towel, they are wriggly beasties.

good luck! it'll just be a matter oftiem, when i got my first bun it took nearly two months to be able to pick her up. :oops:

He walks into the bathroom!

So do you just try and pick them up everyday until it works? It just seems like such a distressing event to repeat daily :?

There's free bunny MOTs at vets during rabbit week in Jan. I'm popping Scamp along for a nail clipping and another attempt at sexing ;)

There's free bunny MOTs at vets during rabbit week in Jan. I'm popping Scamp along for a nail clipping and another attempt at sexing ;)

At all vets? I think I will have to resort to having the vet do it, I just wanted to be able to do it myself :(

You are definitely not alone. Funnily enough I noticed Flynn yesterday and thought 'Oh Oh' it's nail clipping time again. He is the only one of my 9 that just will not have a bar of it. I've even resorted to clipping while he's lying down and being stroked by the kids. I can usually get one or two paws done before he susses me out, then I have to leave it and try again later. All the others will let me hold them, but Flynn never has.:roll: I think I may well be taking advantage of rabbit week too. :lol:

I had no idea you didn't know what sex Scamp was! I assumed he was, well, a he...

I had no idea you didn't know what sex Scamp was! I assumed he was, well, a he...

He's been to the vets three times now (twice for jabs and once specifically for sexing). The vet's fairly sure he's a he, I'm fairly sure he's a he, but he hasn't produced any plums yet :? The vet said either they can neuter now and see what they can find :shock: or we wait a bit longer (that was a month or two ago) so I'm hoping they'll be able to tell now. I'm fairly sure he has the sacks they're meant to drop into and is just being contrary and pulling them up every time I try to look :oops:

He definitely acts like a little boy :lol:

i cant even tell if Alvins claws are too long.... its all fluffy and black at the feet... lol

ill be letting my vets do it, im relatively new to bunny keeping so im not embarassed by my lack of courage really, ive not started with the easiest bun...

He walks into the bathroom!

So do you just try and pick them up everyday until it works? It just seems like such a distressing event to repeat daily :?

I did. But I didnt persist long with it each day...like I'd have a go then if they were getting distressed, leave it till the next day. Even now I sometimes clip a couple of sorrel's paws then have to leave the rest for another day cos she gets panicky. they don't mind the picking up at all now though - they know it'll end in cuddles I think! I guess it depends on the bun but it would be useful to be able to pick him up when necessary.

Nowhere near me dus the free bunny mots grrrrr!
I find it useful to wrap my doe bunny Piper up in a towel when doing her nails because shes quite panicky. Just give lots of nose rubs and kisses and she calmed down in the towel and we got her nails cut :D

Oh Thea.....I have JUST seen this thread! YOu are so totally NOT useless!!!!! *hugs* And no WAY does Bobbin hate you! I know it can be difficult to get all of your self confidence going.....but I am sure that you WILL eventually....just keep working at it!:D I have just been doing it for SO many years now that I don't even stop to THINK about it anymore.....and I also tend to forget how difficult it is in the beginning to find your confidence and what works best for you.

And Bobbin LOVES his Mummy.....he tells Timmy about it ALL the time!!!;):D

I am REALLY stubborn when it comes to getting my buns used to being handled....I just can't let myself give up!:oops: So if I have one who doesn't like to be picked up, I just casually scoop them up at least once a day and hold them really securely tucked up next to me, rub their noses. and rub my face on them and talk to them very softly. After I put them down, I continue to stroke them and give them a piece of something really yummy like curly kale...and they eventually realise that being picked up isn't QUITE as horrific as they THOUGHT it was going to be!:D I still have a couple that aren't TOO keen on being picked up....but I'm working on it!!!

Back