• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Mutual grooming

Graeme27Uk

Warren Scout
Is it normal for grooming to be one sided?

My two have been together for over 2 days now and Frosty is still showing no attempts at grooming Smudge, whereas she is all over him when he wants it.

Is this Frosty being selfish or being dominant or what?

With my pair Nyx usually grooms Lucifer as she is dominant; but she does groom him sometimes, not very often though.

The submissive rabbit does the majority of the grooming.

The dominant rabbit will lower his head and push it under her chin, nudging her until she responds by grooming.

My house rabbit does this to me by nudging my hand until i rub her nose or tickle her ears.

Very occasionally I am rewarded by a small bunny kiss but she is exceptionally dominant in nature!

Well Frosty definately nudges her. She nudges him as well and expects a groom, just like we do with her. She nudges us and we stroke her but then she wants to "stroke"/lick us so we let her... (though up the nostril is no go area!).

So she's got used to this.... she tries with Frosty and he just sits there. Will she get frustrated by this or just think he is a grump git?

Back