• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Panacur

LionheadLuver

Warren Veteran
Hi
I was wondering if I need to give my girls panacur. Is it a routine thing that needs to be done yearly like jabs, or is it only used when they are poorly?

When I discussed it with my vet in Nov 06 he said he wasn't happy about routinely giving it to them, however when Nia's blood tests came back in November 07 with an extremely high EC count he started her on the full 60 day course and advised me to put F&B on a 30 day course, as well as Toyah the fosterbun just to be safe.

I have also discussed it at lenght with my vets at in their opinion, the recommendations on the data sheet are extreme.

They recommend worming annually, in Spring, and at times of high risk such as prior to bording or when coming into contact with other rabbits.

Of course should you & your vet suspect your rabbits have EC they should be put onto the 6 week course (as opposed to the 9 day annual preventative) immediately.

Do people routinely worm houserabbits who don't have access to a garden, or only outdoor buns?

We recommend people with house rabbits only worm if they come into contact with other rabbits or if they suspect EC is being carried.

All the rabbits we rehome are wormed so it may be the owners never need to do it again.

As my own rabbits are always coming into contact with others, even my hosue bunnies, I worm 6 monthly.

my vet said its very very unlikely a house rabbit would pick up EC and if i was worried i should get his blood tested to see if its there, he did say that Alvins potential wife should either be kept in quarentine for 3 months or have her blood tested before they meet just incase she infects him... shes been at the rescue for a good few months now so im not really worried that she will pass anything on, im sure hopper haven have all bases covered anyhows... i did give alvin a dose just incase and my vet said routinely using panacur wont cause any ill effects so its not a problem to do it...

ill probably do him every 6 months same as i worm ralph just for my piece of mind.... once bonded (if ever) hell never be in contact with other rabbits so i dont think itll really matter if i forgot one time...

Kits with an infected mother (who may be a nonactive carrier) contract EC at birth through the placenta. The exact percentage of rabbits born infected in unknown but its likely to be quite high given the exposure rate.

As there is no way of knowing if the mother in infected or not it is advisable to worm ALL rabbits when you first get them just incase.

In a perfect world all mothers would be titer tested and wormed before breeding and all kits wormed shortly after birth.

I guess I should ask my vet about this then as well seeing as my two get to occassionally run about the in-law's garden.

Back