• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Spaying/Neutering Costs and Risks?

pet_lover

New Kit
Hi everyone,

I have been reading tons of online literature that says that if you get a rabbit you should spay (or neuter) her (or him), but I was wondering about the risk of the rabbit not making it through the surgery? What is the usual price range for this? I don't have a rabbit yet, but I was thinking about it. Thanks a lot!

My girls' spays were very expensive, they are usually a lot cheaper than this. It depends on your vets and which part of the country you live in. My girls' spay cost £90 each. Neutering is a hell of a lot cheaper, like £30-£50. Most spays are around the £60-£80 bracket. Girls are under anatestic the longest so there are more risks with them, and they have to open them up, whereas boys aren't under for very long and they are not opened up. Aftercare can have it's risks too. You must check they are weeing, pooing, eating and drinking within 24 hours otherwise, they can go in GI stasis which can be fatal. It's a stressful time for owner and rabbit but it is defintely worth it in the end. My girls came through their spay great and the people on the forum are very friendly and will answer any questions you may have during their aftercare.

Not neutering/spaying can cause many problems, such as cancer, pregnancy, phantom pregnancies and aggressive behaviour. The good points defintely outweigh the bad.

Keep us posted. Good Luck!!!

Last edited:
Smudge cost about £80 to have her bits removed. She was a bit groggy for 3-4 days after and it took her a while to get her old self back. She was eating a little bit and pooing a bit when she got back and got better as the days went on. She was a bit tender and moody though after the op.

Back to her fiesty self now though.

Frosty had his bits removed about month and half ago now. Totally different. Cost about £30 and it was as if nothing had happened. First thing he did when he got home was eat lots of hay and stuff and then poo lots.

After both of their ops we kept them indoors for a few days so they would have us to check on them.

Its better for them in the long run to have their bits removed as it lowers hormones and prolongs their life.

My nethie Maisie was £45 to spay her and she was back to her naughty self by the following morning.

Benjamin was £32 to castrate.

Hi everyone,

I have been reading tons of online literature that says that if you get a rabbit you should spay (or neuter) her (or him), but I was wondering about the risk of the rabbit not making it through the surgery? What is the usual price range for this? I don't have a rabbit yet, but I was thinking about it. Thanks a lot!

:wave: My vet charges £47 for speying. You could consider rescuing a bunny from a rescue centre, they tend to be already neutered/speyed so you dont need to go through the issues yourself, also rehoming a rescue bun means that there is room in that rescue for another little life to be saved :)

I agree. The average cost of spaying/neutering, vaccinations and healthcheck which includes a quick look at the teeth, is generally around £100.00. If you go to a good rescue you can generally find a lovely bunny which has had all these done for you. The chances are that you'll be told all about the bun's personalities and little quirks. If you are thinking of an outdoor bun then you should really have a bonded pair..again the rescue route is by far the easiest because you can find a bonded pair. Again, no issues with trying to bond them yourself:D Good luck with your search and keep us posted:)
P.S. Welcome to the forum!!:D

Castration ranges from £35-£55 and speying from £40-£70 on average.

As a rescue we neuter all our rabbits before rehoming. To date out of 80 rabbits we have lost 2 does under GA for a spey. We have never lost a buck.

The two does we lost both had complcations during surgery, one had a heart defect and the other a belly full of ossified kits. I have also had does with abnormal uteruses sail through surgery fine.

Your vet will perform a pre-op health check on your rabbits before neutering them to check they are healthy enough to cope with the general aneasthetic. You will also be given the option of having blood tests run to check for liver function and other problems which may cause a bad reaction with the GA and affect the rabbits ability to cope.

Personally I have yet to have a rabbit where I felt these tests are necessary but if you want to put your own mind at rest thats the best way to do it.

could i please ask how long should i keep my female away from my neutered male following her spaying?they are very close and always together,thanks,jackie

Patch and Thumper

I've just had Patch and Thumper spayed 2 days before christmas (it was their crimbo pressie!!!) they are 7 months old it cost me £54 each I was so worried about them going into surgery. The veterinary nurse advised me of the risks to putting the rabbits under anaesthetic apparently it's much a higher risk as rabbits are more of a nervous creature than dogs and cats therefore the risk is higher that they won't wake up. Well after being told that I was beside myself!
They came out the same day and are doing really well. I'm hoping their will be little or no fighting now...time will tell

Lovely to get them home again I missed em so much...I'm off rambling again!

The veterinary nurse advised me of the risks to putting the rabbits under anaesthetic apparently it's much a higher risk as rabbits are more of a nervous creature than dogs and cats therefore the risk is higher that they won't wake up.

That was very irresponsible of your veterinary nurse to scare you like that and also complete and utter bull. They should make you aware that there is a potential risk, as with any animal or operation but the risk is not exceptionally by comparison to toehr creatures.

If a vet or vet nurse told me that it would set alarm bells ringing that the vet/ practice concerned was not experience in rabit sedation or surgery and I would take my bunnies elsewhere.

Rabbit neutering is nowhere near as high risk, due to advances in aneasthetic techniques, as it was a few years ago and is now seen as routine in all good small animal surgeries.

Last edited:
i personally would not buy a baby bunny again... them teens months are headache making, the after op worrying was also very stressful for me and i only had a boy done :oops: :oops:

i think my future involves ready grown, ready netured buns from a rescue... plus my current problem is gettin Alvin to accept a wife, id deffo get a ready bonded pair of adults from a rescue in the furture..

Alvins op cost £56 - that included pre-op and post-op checks and a course of baytril

I think that I would really like to get a male from the shelters-I heard that they are generally less skittish than the females? Well, I would-I checked the shelter that's closest to me for information about the rabbits, and while it didn't really have a lot of information about their personalities, it did say whether they had been spayed or not. The only thing that I would be worried about is if the rabbits that are in the shelter are generally more skittish, because some of them have had bad pasts, or no?

hello
i have just got a pair from a rescue and they are very friendly,especially the male,the previous owner had to change her job and didnt have time for them,she has looked after them very well,really nice pets,good luck with your search,it will be worth it

Not all animals are in rescue because they have been neglected. Many are much loved pets who have been well cared for and who were surrendered with a great deal of heart ache.

Out of my 15 rabbits so far, 14 were neutered (spayed and castrated) and none of them had the slightest problem. Unless there is very good reason not to, I would always recommend neutering especially if you have more than one rabbit.

I am not sure about males and females... of my current nine bunnies, 6 are males and 3 females. I have 2 males that are very cuddly, 2 females that are very cuddly and the rest is ok, but not particularly fond of being handled. So I don't think it depends on their gender really... but more on their individual temperaments.

Vera

Last edited:
could i please ask how long should i keep my female away from my neutered male following her spaying?they are very close and always together,thanks,jackie

You shouldn't keep them away at all.

Most decent rabbit vets know the benefits of paired rabbits staying together. So both should go to the vets and apart from while they are doing the operation and while she's in recovery, they should stay together.
He'll be gentle and help keep her warm and settled.

Back