• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits inside during winter

Scrufox86

Warren Scout
My family and i have brought our rabbits inside for the winter, well by that i mean in our conservatory. It isn't much warmer than outside but it keeps the rain, frost and wind off of thier hutches. We do have a mobile radiator that we put on low just to make sure it doesn't get too cold. Really only the rabbits that had recently been neutered were to come in as we were told to by the vets for about a week however they are all inside now.

My question is, is that alright to do? i know rabbits get winter coats to survive winter but i have read that it is going to be as low as -17 degrees celcius in the coming weeks.

If your rabbits have been neutered, they need to be inside for about a week anyway. Check your area's forecast and see about the temperature. If you feel your rabbits will be cold, bring them indoors with a small heater. If your rabbits can't cope with cold temperatures, have short coats, doesn't look like they have a thick winter coat (like mine!!!:rolleyes:) then bring them indoors. It's best to keep them indoors 24/7 until the temperature has risen and then slowly introduce them to outdoors temperature again. I'm going to put a snugglesafe in with my girls.

It is fine to bring them in provided you are going to keep thm in until the weather warms again.

Although your rabbits will have grown a winter coat being inside in a warmer climate will cause them to moult again into a lighter coat which will not be as tolerant to extreme cold.

Back