• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hair in Rabbits poo

Tempest

Warren Scout
For the past 3 days there has been some hair in Rowans poo. I've heard this can cause problems so I cut down on her pellets and veg a bit to get her to eat more hay to help it pass though. She's been pooing and eating normally so far, should I do anyting else?

Is he molting?
I think pineapples are supposed to be good for passing fur.
Also when Sasuke was molting like there was no tomorrow I gave him sunflower seeds, but be careful with those since they are very fattening. I only gave him a few seeds a day.

She is slightly, just near her tail where she won't let me brush her :roll:

I'll try some sunflower seeds first and see how those go, then the pineapple if it doen't - I'm a bit wary of giving her pineapple though, she won't be used to it.

I gave mine pineapple juice (freshly squeezed) for the first time this week and they both loved it. Also try and get your bun to drink some more water to help pass it through.

Feed fresh pineapple or bromeline tablets. Whilst it is a matter for dispute that this actual does any good the idea is that the enzyme, Bromeline, breaks down the trapped hair.

Pasteurised pineapple products are no good as the enzyme is destroyed during the process. Fresh pineapple is also better as it has a lower sugar concentration and sugar can upset the gut balance.

I am not sure what benefit the sunflower seeds are supposed to have but I would avoide feeding them due to their high carbohydrate and protein levels.

I forgot the shops where shut today so I'll be picking up some fresh pineapple tomorrow first thing. Can I put some drops of the juice in her water to get her to drink more? How much pineapple would you say isn't too much for her first piece? I just worry I could make it worse.

I'm more worried today as I found a couple of poos contected by hair, other than the hair they seem fairly normal though so hopefully it'll pass, she's have bloodtests thursday, so while I'm at the vet I'll ask about it and see what they say as well.

that tail bit is the bit harvey hates being groomed... such a fuss!

he had pineapple a while ago for some medical thing reccommended by his vet, can remember for what exactly, but he loved it! I think it was for increasing fluid intake, like adding juice to wter etc, buthe took a fancy to pineapple... not toomuch though or youll end up with nasty poo!

that tail bit is the bit harvey hates being groomed... such a fuss!

he had pineapple a while ago for some medical thing reccommended by his vet, can remember for what exactly, but he loved it! I think it was for increasing fluid intake, like adding juice to wter etc, buthe took a fancy to pineapple... not toomuch though or youll end up with nasty poo!

Well I couldn't get any today as the shops were so busy I couldn't get to a checkout so I'll pick some up first thing tomorrow. I'll make sure she doesn't have too much, her poo had less hair in it today so I think making her eat more hay is doing the trick for now but I'll introduce the pineapple anyway, it can only help :)

I forgot the shops where shut today so I'll be picking up some fresh pineapple tomorrow first thing. Can I put some drops of the juice in her water to get her to drink more? How much pineapple would you say isn't too much for her first piece? I just worry I could make it worse.

I'm more worried today as I found a couple of poos contected by hair, other than the hair they seem fairly normal though so hopefully it'll pass, she's have bloodtests thursday, so while I'm at the vet I'll ask about it and see what they say as well.

Same her with our bun, hates brushing full stop unless we use a soft brush which basically does nothing. We dampen our hands with water and smooth her down works a treat, is messy for you but it good for her! Be careful if Asthmatic and allergic to Bun hair if goes in mouth, as can be dangerous as I have found out, so O/H does it now:lol:

Same her with our bun, hates brushing full stop unless we use a soft brush which basically does nothing. We dampen our hands with water and smooth her down works a treat, is messy for you but it good for her! Be careful if Asthmatic and allergic to Bun hair if goes in mouth, as can be dangerous as I have found out, so O/H does it now:lol:

That sounds like a good idea, I'll try the damp hands and see how she takes to it. she lets me pet her all over so it should help :)

That sounds like a good idea, I'll try the damp hands and see how she takes to it. she lets me pet her all over so it should help :)

Works for our baby and even when she has her bad moult, at which point I don't know why she isn't bald and she only a mini lop and hair not too long, We have never had a problem with hair strung poo!

Works for our baby and even when she has her bad moult, at which point I don't know why she isn't bald and she only a mini lop and hair not too long, We have never had a problem with hair strung poo!

This is the first time I've had a problem with it myself but I'll try anything to prevent it happening again. Rowan is quite fluffy at the moment with her winter coat which might have something to do with it.

This is the first time I've had a problem with it myself but I'll try anything to prevent it happening again. Rowan is quite fluffy at the moment with her winter coat which might have something to do with it.

Could even try using a tiny bit damp flannel! We don't do it too much in one go cos heard buns should not really get wet because hair can take long time to dry and there skin is quite thin and sensitive! I does prevent her from injesting too much hair when cleaing though! good luck!

Could even try using a tiny bit damp flannel! We don't do it too much in one go cos heard buns should not really get wet because hair can take long time to dry and there skin is quite thin and sensitive! I does prevent her from injesting too much hair when cleaing though! good luck!

I didn't know rabbits shouldn't get too wet, I'll try a slightly damp flannel/cloth then.. it'll be easier making sure she doesn't get too soggy.

Just an update, while I was at the vets I asked about hair in her poo and she said so long as I keep her on a mostly hay diet it should pass on it's own.. still I have the pineapple now so I see no harm in giving her a bit :D

Back