• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

House bun hay racks!?

stewyprinceandluna

Warren Scout
Where do you lot have your hay for free range house buns with out a crate!? I was thinking of using one of those shelves that stick to the tiles in the shower that you put shampoo etc on... they have suckers which would stick to kitchen cupboard doors... was goin to use that as a 'hay rack' unless any one else has good ideas!?!??

I don't have any free ranging buns at the moment, but I've seen people who have them, who put a box underneath the hayrack (either a litterbox or any other random box to prevent hay from getting everywhere) Makes cleaning out easier (of course...even I got hay all over in my bed room...and mine are usually in big cages... Sasuke won't even leave his cage, I have no idea how all that hay gets there:roll:)

I have the hay like this, in the bottom shelf of a bookshelf:

141020072032laU4hCtSuEJhjdt81y.JPG

I have one more litter tray with hay in and one carrier with hay in. They manage to get the hay everywhere if they try, but that's just a few times a week maybe :lol: I'm yet to find the ultimate solution..

I have hay in a big dog bowl, in cardboard tubes, in the base of her carrot tree and in a macdonalds drinks holder at the end of her litter tray. She has it every where :)

I have underbed storage boxes as litter trays with some hay in aswell and then i have 3 half circle wall hanging baskets (if that makes sense) above each litter tray. They also have a rollin the hay and a couple of bowls of grass, i also have a large grass ball which i stuff sometimes too

I have a hay rack in Buster's pen. We live in a bungalow so he will take himself back to his pen for wee wee and hay time.:D

i've been using willow nests (large ones) from pets at home.
they've gone through 2 now - but I can't complain about them eating it - it keeps their teeth down, and it's either that or the rug, so i'd prefer them to get their destruction out on a willow nest!

We always have hay in litter trays. We use old dog beds for litter trays but if it's only one small to medium bun a washing up bowl is just as suitable, or under bed storage container for 2 or more/larger buns. High sides on the litter tray are essential in my opinion as the bun will back up in to a corner and pee over the edge if it is possible! :roll: Also high sides keep the hay in better. The bunnies have no problems hopping in and out.

If you have a dog crate (or similar) they do a surprisingly good job of keeping the hay in one place - it does depend on the habits of the rabbit though - some will be very tidy while others scatter hay for fun. A cardboard box is just as good but you will end up replacing the box quite often.

Not all buns will eat from a hay rack - just try it and see - and some will pull all the hay out and have the rack off the wall in no time - it's a great game! :lol: Others will be very happy with the rack. :D

Hay in toilet rolls always goes down well with ours but does create a mess sometimes.

Maria x

Back