• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Poppy not well - vibes and advice needed please!

poppy180

Warren Scout
hi

have just read Katy's story and i am so glad she sounds better but i seem to have the same with poppy today. Went to the hutch to feed them about 12.00 and shes lying on the bottom - normally shaking to open the door to get food.

she wont eat or drink, have tried syringe feeding with water and her complete mix - not going well and she hasnt taken any. I have been rubbing her tummy lots and have asked hubby to bring veg and p juice back from work when he comes back.

I havent got the car, am going out tonight with my parents and friends so i am going to take her with us in her carrier so i can keep rubbing tummy and trying foods.

Will try and get her to a vet tomorrow and keep doing what I'm doing in the meantime. Can I do anything else? After reading Katys thread i am going to look out for poos/wees (havent seen any yet) i have her in the kitchen with me at the moment so i can keep an eye.

Fluff, her hubby is in the run in the garden as i have also cleaned the hutch out today and its drying. I thought of putting them togtehr with food and her seeing fluff eat may motivate her??

She has done this before earlier in the year and started eating a day after normally

thanks for your help

Hi Emma. I'd advise you to get her to the vet now. I think I posted this morning that my intention was to take Bournville to the vet if there was no improvement by mid-day. Thankfully there was. Hope you get something sorted soon as I honestly feel that leaving it till tomorrow will mean that her problem will be so much greater and therefore harder to treat. Thinking of you and fingers crossed for poppy.

Last edited:
Hi, Katy's mum here. Take her to the vet.

I took Katy as soon as I saw she was not eating. Do not wait any longer, it is important to catch this asap. If the vet on Xmas Day had given Katy a gut stimulant I am sure we would not be in the situation we are with her now. We kept being told to syringe feed her on boxing day as it did not sound like it was emergency. In the end I insisted someone else sees her and they diagnosed GI statis.

You will find it hard to get a vet tomorrow, I urge you to see one tonight.

I hope that Poppy is feeling better soon.

:wave: I'd really get her to the vets tonight urgently. It sounds like she may have stasis or bloat which will cause her to go down hill very quickly within a matter of hours. It's important not to cause her stress as if she isn't in familiar surroundings with familiar smells, people, noises etc. it will make her worse, so taking her with you in a carrier may do more harm than good.

It's vital to get her to the vets for some pain relief first & foremost, then they can assess the situation further as to what treatment she requires. She may well need you to stay at home with her afterwards to monitor her, give her small quantities of fluids via syringe every half hour or so (Bio Lapis in boiled water left to cool to a warm temperature, fresh pineapple juice (not from a carton) & Infacol), keep her warm as her temperature will probably be slightly below average (heat a Snugglesafe & put it near her) & bring her inside with her husbun (fireworks etc. will stress her out tonight). Keep her moving about as much as possible without agitating her to get her guts moving, & give her gentle tummy massages.

Sending lots of get well vibes for Poppy.

Last edited:
Is she pooping at all?

Taking her with you in the car to see friends and family is NOT going to help matters. GI stasis is known to be triggered by stress so the last thing she needs is a change in environment followed by strang people and lots of noise.

She needs to stay with her hubby, being seperated can also cause stress and you my find when you put them back together they fight. The bodn can break down when they are seperated so it is important not to split them for any lenght of time.

Both rabbits need to be indoors tonight as a sick rabbit cannot maintain body temperature and can become hypothermic quite easily.

It is vital she see's a vet asap, such a shame you waited instead of seeing the vet whilst they were open today.

Also I would not offer her any sweet foods, foods that she has not eaten before or any type of fruit juice as sugar can exacerbate issues further by allowing the bad gut flora to multiply.

thanks for your advice

Just wanted to give you an update, my hubby came home from work and we called the emergency vet and got her in about 6.20pm last night. Hadnt seen this vet b4 as it wasnt our usual vet but a vet covering out of hours emergency.

I gave him the story, and he examined her and told us her tummy was that hard he was v concerned and wanted to admit her.
He also said would give a gut injection stimulant and will try and get her to eat/guts moving but said it wasnt looking v good.

Worried all night, and phoned them at 8.30am this morning, she had had a good night, and had pooed and eaten food - so happy! ! But the nurse i spoke to wanted to wait till vet had checked her in the next half hour to give me a proper update - 2 hrs later i phoned and i had the all clear to pick her up.

I went over, she looked so much perkier and better and put her back in hutch with Fluff (her hubby) vets gave me dried food granuels and a probiotic medicene, instructions, a letter and some probiotic granules.

she wouldnt eat any veg but had some dried food. Had her in the house tonight and tumm feels so much softer and syringe fed granules/probio medicence.

she has not got her full appitie back yet but will keep trying with the veg and food and giving her the probio and food granules if needed.

£140 in total - gulp!! I am just so glad she is ok.

Just want to say their hutch during the winter is in our 'outhouse' which is a shed attached to our house (old coal store) so they are never outside when fireworks are on.

Thank you so much for your quick replies and advice, have been unable to get to the P.C before now

happy new year to you all,

Emma
xxxxxxxxxx

Back