• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Erm... Bonding.... I could've lied!!

Jenefina

Mama Doe
well after a huge absence due to lack of tinterweb I'm back and now seriously looking for a wifey for Pye. Still cannot believe there have been some some girlies in the north east posted on here and I missed them :(

So I rang a local rescue and it looks like I would be on my own for bonding and I can honestly say I am dreading it! I thought going somewhere local might mean I would get help as I really am clueless but its not to be :oops:

The lady on the phone told me not to bring Pye for an intro, just to pick a girly and take her home, but what do I do if they don't like each other? I don't think I could cope taking her back! the trauma for her would riddle me with guilt for ever!

Eek, this is panicking me so much, I don't know whether I reading too much into the whole thing or not, just read so many of peoples horror stories on here!

don't worry its looks more traumatic than it is and its us humans that make most fuss.

I couldn't post when I bonded Barney and Roxy so I just searched and came across an advice thread that basically sadi get them somewhere neautral and put them together and leave them there unless there is proper aggression (ie damage). Different people take different approaches but I have found this the best (although it was harder with a third!).

Will the lucky lady be neautered? You will have to wait for her stitches to heal if she is not yet.

Faye (Cottonmather) apparently starts her bonding sessions in the bath...I didn't try this but she has a million rabbits which all seem happy together so it must work. I put mine in my fairly small kitchen with lino so everything is slo-mo.

The top tip I was told was to remove litter trays as this can increase the likely hood of them grabbing territory.

Honestly its not as scary as we all make it out to be yes flur flies (but they have a lot) and yes they probably will fight but stick with it its so worth it.

Also most rabbits will eventually get on with each other so don't let having to take a lady back worry you because its quite unlikely.

Hope that helps.
xx

you could always introduce them in the car when you pick her up? Quite often they are so scared of driving for an hour that they snuggle up together. It's best to have someone else in the car, as you're busy driving, and start them off in 2 seperate carriers facing each other. Then after 20mins swap them around so they get used to each others smell, then after another 20 mins put them together. Once you are home put them somewhere neutral for about 3 days, preferably near your bed so you can supervise at night, so they get thoroughly bonded (you need to get them more attached to each other than they were to their original territory) While they're bonding, you can clean their living area, repaint the wall next to the cage, change the rugs, whatever - make it smell new :)

I've never found bonding a particularly scary experience. :oops: And really, I think a lot of people get very nervous and rabbits can pick up on this... I'm sure people will give good advice. I seem to bond mine differently to what is considered the 'best' way to do so on here, and don't want to get flamed for giving 'wrong' advice... But good luck!

i know that someone that used to come on here fostered rabbits for a rescue and she did bonding as well but i dont know if she still fosters or not :? i to am looking for someone in the northeast to help bond Crystal and Misty because im a big wimp and freak at the slightest scuffle :oops: lol depending on how far you can travel theres rescues in yorkshire that will happily bond Pye with a girly bun.

xx

well after a huge absence due to lack of tinterweb I'm back and now seriously looking for a wifey for Pye. Still cannot believe there have been some some girlies in the north east posted on here and I missed them :(

So I rang a local rescue and it looks like I would be on my own for bonding and I can honestly say I am dreading it! I thought going somewhere local might mean I would get help as I really am clueless but its not to be :oops:

The lady on the phone told me not to bring Pye for an intro, just to pick a girly and take her home, but what do I do if they don't like each other? I don't think I could cope taking her back! the trauma for her would riddle me with guilt for ever!

Eek, this is panicking me so much, I don't know whether I reading too much into the whole thing or not, just read so many of peoples horror stories on here!

:wave::wave::wave::wave: Hello, just wanted to say Hi, i am in Sunderland and just bonded my lil rescue bun Flynn with the lovely Jessica (in profile pic) might just be luck but the 2 bondings i have done have been just fine hun :D hope you find a lovely girly bun :D

We (Happy Hoppers in Sheffield) do bonding as does Angie at BARC in Barnsley and Jill at Honeybunnies in Leicester.

Thank you so much for all the advice and confidence boosts! going to try and go to have a look at some girls this weekend or next. I will def be getting a bun that's already spayed as I was a quivering wreck taking Pye for his op and made a total clip of myself by crying my eyes out in the reception!! Could not go through that again esp since its a more serious op!

My main problem was trying to think of a place in my flat which was neutral, the only two places he hasn't been is the kitchen and the bathroom adn I think it's because he's scared of the lino! bless, maybe he'd bond quicker with her out of fear of the nasty evil slippy floor! My concern would be trying to seperate them if they did get serious without causing more damage, I read something about gardening gloves and a broom handle... aargh i need to stop being a wuss!

I had thought about begging for help from a rescue as there seems to be quite a few on here that help but don't want to cause more trauma by travelling miles with them so i may have to bite the bullet. There is however a beautiful girlie on Honeybunnys site that I have fallen in love with!!

Thanks for your help, I'll keep you updated.....

Back