• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

more book recommendations please

clutterydrawer

Wise Old Thumper
I know we've had a few threads like this before but could anyone recommend me a good rabbit book - I want one that goes beyond the basics. I've looked at a few but they've seemed to be mostly stuff about housing, feeding etc that I already know and I want one that goes into greater depth. does anyone have a book they'd recommend? (pref one that's easily available of amazon - i have vouchers:D) thankyou!

Rabbits for Dummies :wave:

Still working through my others, not impressed with Rabbitlopeadia at all :?

I love 'The Problem with Rabbits' by Pat Rees. I was given a copy by the owner of the rescue where I got my two. It changes the way you look at rabbits, gives you loads of ideas and is a really good book to put people off buying them (in a good way)!

I think you can get it on Amazon.

I love 'The Problem with Rabbits' by Pat Rees. I was given a copy by the owner of the rescue where I got my two. It changes the way you look at rabbits, gives you loads of ideas and is a really good book to put people off buying them (in a good way)!

I think you can get it on Amazon.

Its a bit outdated though... There is a lot of irrelevant and incorrect health care information in it.

Rabbits for Dummies :wave:

Still working through my others, not impressed with Rabbitlopeadia at all :?

I liked the look of that but heard some people found it to be full of errors?
does rabbits for dummies go into detail illnesses and treatments?

I suppose i could jsut go to a bookshop and browse but that'd be far too much work. :lol:

I liked the look of that but heard some people found it to be full of errors?
does rabbits for dummies go into detail illnesses and treatments?

I suppose i could jsut go to a bookshop and browse but that'd be far too much work. :lol:

I have yet to find one in enough detail for illnesses and treatments that is not at least £40.

RFD does have quite a bit on various problems and symptoms but not too much on treatments.

FHB's book is the best for medical information if you have £40-£60 to spare!

Its a bit outdated though... There is a lot of irrelevant and incorrect health care information in it.

Possibly, but I found it very helpful when I first started with my two and I think that the chapters on bonding and housing are very useful.

Do not buy 'The Really Useful Bunny Guide', it's rubbish and the only good point is that the author advocates neutering/spaying.

Dont buy the Rabbit Whisperer either!

Rabbitlopeadia actually has a story about the author realeasing her rabbits into the wild in it :shock: and its not presented in a 'that was a mistake' fashion either!

Definetly dont buy this one :shock: It only read half of it :lol:

Is the textbook of rabbit medicine any good? x

Yes!

The BSAVA Rabbit medical guide (not sure of full title) is supposed to be good too, but it is a veterinary student book.

Perhaps between the lot of us on here we should write our own.

It could be called 'How to care for rabbits, properly. To start with go to a rescue and get a pair' :lol:!

I got Rabbit health in the 21st century for christmas and I'm enjoying it so far! It's very easily read (and I'm from Norway :lol:). Also I'm reading Stories rabbits tell, and it's stuffed with info you don't normally get from a rabbit book - not much about caring for them or illnesses though. At least not in the first few chapters I've read.

Both can be bought on amazon

Ive got Stories Rabbits Tell but not read it yet. Is Rabbit Health in the 21st Century worth buying?

I dont want anymore books that repeat each other...its getting tedious!

It depends how much you already know. For me it was worth buying (would have bought if I didn't get it for christmas), because it tells you relativley detailed how your bunny could and should be treated at the vets, what treating methods to avvoid, what symptoms to look for etc. I only just finished chapter two so haven't read the whole book yet. I do know quite alot about rabbit illnesses but this book gives me plenty new information :D Espescially helpful since there aren't any bunny veterinarians in my area, and I can go home after being to the vets and check if the treatment it good or bad. But I don't have alot of rabbit books so don't know if any of the others says the same as this one though.

I'd thoroughly recommend the FHB textbook of rabbit medicine. I got mine for Xmas about 3 years ago, and have lost count of the number of times I've had to consult it. It really is unequalled in coverage of rabbit illness.

The only downsides are that it's a fairly old book now (not sure if its been updated?), and many of the words used are medical terms, so you either need a medical dictionary at hand or google to look up meanings.

I've also got the Paul Flecknell book, but it's not as good as the FHB one.

Amy

i've just ordered "why do rabbits?" from amazon as it was being well recommended on here last week. should hopefully be here in a few days. Lot of the reviews on amazon didn't rate rabbitlopiedia too highly so didn't bother with that and wasn't really sure about any of the others

Back