• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Which would you get?

Pipstrel

Mama Doe
The garden is only 11 feet wide and the run I made is 6ft long and 3 ft wide, they have access to the run 24 hours a day as I prefer them to have the space and apart from the odd cat there are no predators. However I would like a new hutch, would you get:

This play house and put a second floor in it:

http://www.ideas-4-pets.com/pages-p...-playhouse-with-window-box-and-roof-trim.html

or something like this and attach my existing run to it so they'd have lots of run space but a smaller hutch:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/6-X-3-X-4-DEL...ryZ63513QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

or a double hutch 5ft wide like this:

http://www.happyhutch.com/ProductDetails.aspx?productID=72&categoryID=5

If anyone has any of the above please can you let me know if your buns like living in it and how easy it is to clean out. My buns seem to spend most of their time outside in the run so not sure if it is worth spending good money on a bigger hutch than the one we've got.

Thanks very much

Helen x x

I've never had a playhouse, so I can't comment on that. I don't like the 1st hutch, the inside part is too small. I would get the 2nd hutch (two storey, 5ft) as it's easy to clean, can close access to run if needed and good space.

the happy hutch you have linked to is a double storey hutch (ie two hutches) and not a hutch with run under. is that right?

i have the 6ft happy hutch run combo and i find cleaning out easy. it takes me about an hour to do a full clean once a week with a bedroom clean inbetween. its easy because we swapped the run lid roumnd to open the other way, other wise i wouldn't have been able to reach the back :roll:

I have that exact playhouse. I usually have a shelf in it too but we've taken that out becuase of Inky's poorly paw! However, even without the shelf they have lots of room and it's very easy to clean. My tip would be to attach a run to the side and to put vinyl flooring down. I also have an electric light (fantastic in the winter) in mine.

Oh and I've just thought, I'm sure they have the same playhouse in Argos for less then the price on that website, I got mine from Focus, so they may be worth looking at too.

Thanks very much, I was planning on making a whole in the side and putting a cat flap in. Also making a a bed compartment and putting lino or something where the litter tray and then carpet on the upstairs floor once i've put a shelf in so that they have somewhere soft to lie. Play houses just seem to look better than hutches and seem to be cheaper for the total area of them if that makes sense.

H x

Thanks very much, I was planning on making a whole in the side and putting a cat flap in. Also making a a bed compartment and putting lino or something where the litter tray and then carpet on the upstairs floor once i've put a shelf in so that they have somewhere soft to lie. Play houses just seem to look better than hutches and seem to be cheaper for the total area of them if that makes sense.

H x

I think they have more usable space in them. I know my two love their one!

As they will have access to the run all the time, how about a wooden tool store? Sooty has one with a cat flap into her run area. It is beautifully made, tongue and groove, with a lift up lid so very easy to clean out. It cost me £90.00 from Wyevales.

I would definately say playhouse, and as already has been said with linoleum on the floor. this makes it so much easier to clean out - so less time consuming!!! Thing with the playhouse too - you can build things and extra shelves inside it if you choose to as well :D

Back