• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Please send healing vibes for Kitt =[ UPDATED

loobie_lou

Mama Doe
Hawys is having to take Kitt to the vets again this morning as I found another abcess on his front paw this time... only this one is much bigger than the ones I found before :(

This will be his 5th, or 6th, operation (I've lost count)... I'm so worried about him.

Please send him some vibes xx

Last edited:
Poor Bun :cry:

Has the Vet mentioned whether the infection is actually in the bone as opposed to just soft tissue ?

Janex

Poor Bun :cry:

Has the Vet mentioned whether the infection is actually in the bone as opposed to just soft tissue ?

Janex

I'm waiting to hear back from my partner who's had to take him, as I'm working :cry: I feel like I should be there with him.

It's his 5th major abcess - his first one showed up on his ear just after I'd got him which was treated with Baytril, his second one was found after an alleged attack from my other bunny, Jamie, had torn open his side, his third one was found when the vet took the stitches out from this scar and a fourth one was found on the adjacent side :cry:

The abcess in his leg she said she couldn't remove the pocket of the abcess but she put some gel or something over it after she'd operated on him which she said may prevent future abcesses. It's been a good 2 months since his last one was treated :cry:

I'm waiting to hear back from my partner who's had to take him, as I'm working :cry: I feel like I should be there with him.

It's his 5th major abcess - his first one showed up on his ear just after I'd got him which was treated with Baytril, his second one was found after an alleged attack from my other bunny, Jamie, had torn open his side, his third one was found when the vet took the stitches out from this scar and a fourth one was found on the adjacent side :cry:

The abcess in his leg she said she couldn't remove the pocket of the abcess but she put some gel or something over it after she'd operated on him which she said may prevent future abcesses. It's been a good 2 months since his last one was treated :cry:

I would probably want to get a culture from the *abscess wall* to determine the most appropriate antibiotic to prescribe. Baytril may be ineffective against the bacteria involved. The Vet needs to make sure that the swab actually comes *from the abscess wall* and not just the pus. Rabbit pus is often sterile and would therefore be useless.

Rabbit abscesses can be a real :censored:

Sending vibes for Kitt

Janex

Just had a call from Hawys... with good news. The suspected abcess isn't an abcess... but would have turned in to one had we not found it. Basically Kitt's skin is really REALLY thin and they're suspecting he caught it on something and has been making it worse himself.

They've put him under GA and will be stitching him back up and sending him home later on today. What can I do though? Wrap him up in cotton wool?? He's also now bonded with Hollie, so I guess I'll have to seperate them until his scar has healed. Poor Kitt, he has bald patches all over :cry:

Awww poor boy is always in the wars :( Hopefully being with Hollie won't be a problem - she can comfort him can't she? If she's not gone to the vet with him though, introduce them somewhere neutral and distract her with a pile of food, as he'll smell funny.

Wouldn't she try and clean his wound though? He'll have a collar on, AGAIN, to stop him getting at the wound. I feel so awful for him =[

Hmm, see she tries to groom him on his side and his back end and he flips... it's quite strange, because once he flips she does too

Back