• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

rabbit hutch

jackiestone

Warren Veteran
hello,where can i get a beautiful hutch for my new bunnies?The hutch they came with is too small and their run needs replacing.I have looked on ebay but i am confused.thank you.:D

Hi:wave: Welcome to the forum.:) A combination one is a good idea if it is going to be on a patio as the rabbits can then have 24 access to the run without any fear of them digging out, or a predator digging in. If you are limited to space for a combination then a separate run is fine, especially if it is a folding one as it's easy to move around so that the rabbits aren't constantly on the same piece of ground.

Have you thought of a playhouse?

My two live in one and it's got loads of space, it cost about the same as a two story hutch.

If you still want a hutch. I agree with Capel that combination ones are good.

Combination ones are good if you can't be at home to let them into a separate run, but my rabbit broke her back coming down the stairs in a two-storey, so some recommend you have a box instead of stairs to allow them access to the top part. I have a single storey and a separate run. If I had a combination, I know I wouldn't have bonded with them so well as I wouldn't of handled them much. I have to pick them up twice a day to put them into and out of the run and hutch, whereas in a combination, I wouldn't pick them up much, maybe once a week or something. I know you are supposed to give them a bum-check every day, but I know I wouldn't do those if I didn't HAVE to handle them.

I don't know if having the separate run helped with my bond with them, they might of been just as friendly with a combination but who knows? Also, if you have a separate run, and you have an aggressive rabbit, it makes it hard to cope with them day-to-day, causing more stress in your life. I have had a combination hutch with my previous rabbits, and I would say that if you don't have much time on your hands, get a combination, but if you can be at home in the morning and early evening, get a separate run.

thank you all,i like the hutch on the happy hutch company site,it is a combination one with a run at the side,it is difficult to see in the pic how good the actual hutch is,has anyone got this??

yes thats the one!it isnt very clear in the picture,it looks like a good sized run but i dont know what the hutch is like.I am also looking on ebay for a similar thing,which is described as a poultry/rabbit hutch but i was outbid:(

The run is quite narrow. most people have a minimum 4x6 run as buns prefer to run round as opposed to back and forth. also if you have a run with a proper hutch attached it provides a larger much more sheltered area if you need to close them off from the run.
lots of people on here have the happy hutch like mine in the pic, but you can also get a slightly smaller 5ft version if space is tight.

P1020240.jpg

hope that helps

Back