• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Arrrgh - buns and their tums

Becca6

Mama Doe
Why do they always do it at the weekend?

Tarquin didn't eat his veg or much hay Thursday night, but did eat his 5 bedtime SS pellets and bedtime banana chip treat. He didn't want all his breakfast pellets and when he turned ìs nose up at a banana chip off to the vet we went Friday afternon. The vet thoroughly examined him - teeth are fine which is a relief, but not many tummy noises.

He had usual meds - gut stimulant, pain relief and antibiotic injection just in case.

He started pooing within a couple of hours and by bedtime had almost finished his veg and polished off his pellets.

I got up yesterday expecting to be taking him back to the vet but he couldn't wait for his pellets and there were hundreds of poos so thought everything was ok.

Got up today and he's off his food again. Loads of poos and all last night's veg gone so must have been eating in the night.

So I've been checking him about every 10 minutes and when he refused a banana chip had decided that's it - have to get him to the emergency vet. So about to ring and there he is with a huge piece of oat/wheat/barley hay sticking out of his mouth munching away. Don't think he's pooed much today but what do I do now?

I suppose I watch him for the next hour or so and if he poos leave it, if he doesn't off we go.

watch him, see how he goes, and if no more poos in an hour, then take him to the vet.

hes pehaps being awkward like my two can me x

Have you got any Infacol(you can get it in most supermarkets now int he baby section) and recovery formula?

One of my rabbits, Smokey, is very prone to GI Stasis. I find that most of the time, if I give her a dose of Infacol and syringe feed her watery recovery formula at the first sign, she recovers quite quickly. If she hasn't started eating within about an hour, then I take her to the vets but I always try this first.

Lots of munching vibes

FC xx

Have you got any Infacol(you can get it in most supermarkets now int he baby section) and recovery formula?

I tried to give him some Infacol earlier but he got quite stressed and cried. Will have to find a way of administering it cos if he needs it I'll have to get it in.

I've got a sachet of Recovery if he needs it.

Can you feel any poo in his small intestines (lower tummy area) ?

I did some tummy rubs but not sure if I can feel anything - the vet felt some on Friday.

Just done some more tummy rubs - which he seemed to enjoy. His tummy just feels soft.

He's eaten a few pellets and there is a little pile of poos that wasn't there an hour ago. Going to try some spring greens now.

When you say he cried Becca what noise did he make?

It's hard to describe - he does it if you try and open his mouth - he did it at the vet when he examined his teeth. It's definitely not a squeal - more like a hiss or heavy breathing. Nothing like the buzzing Bella makes.

He's now eating spring greens but I'm still not sure what to do. Don't want to go to my mum and dad's and come back and have to rush him to the vet tonight - if he needs to go I'd rather do it sooner - but he has eaten and pood - think I'm panicking a bit. He's not done the hunched sit which he did on Friday - he's either flopped out or sitting properly.

If he's eating and pooping, he's probably fine. I know my final test with suspected poorly tums is pineapple tablets!
Give him some nose rubs from me.

Only just seen this after what you said on the New Year thread :shock: Hope the little man is OK and just being a picky nethie :) I spent Christmas syringing water into Basil piggie, then when he was better, Zinniea bunny (Christmas - what Christmas? :roll:) I think they recovered because of water rather than anything else - I could only get Basil to eat wet dandelion and blackberry leaves, so if you can find any fresh looking ones they are very medicinal - dandelion purifies the liver and kidneys, and blackberry leaves are very good for tummies :)

Only just seen this after what you said on the New Year thread :shock: Hope the little man is OK and just being a picky nethie :) I spent Christmas syringing water into Basil piggie, then when he was better, Zinniea bunny (Christmas - what Christmas? :roll:) I think they recovered because of water rather than anything else - I could only get Basil to eat wet dandelion and blackberry leaves, so if you can find any fresh looking ones they are very medicinal - dandelion purifies the liver and kidneys, and blackberry leaves are very good for tummies :)

They have dried dandelion and blackberry leaves every day - not sure if they lose their goodness being dried?

I managed to avoid taking him to the emergency vet yesterday as he ate and pood enough for me to feel ok.

The little tinker didn't eat or poo in the night so off to the vet this morning. More meds and I persuaded vet to let me have some Moxolon liquid just in case I need it tomorrow. Obviously I'll take him to the emergency vet if I have to but at £97 + treatment costs if I can get him through to Wednesday myself with syringe feeding I'll try that first.

He's been bright today - has pood and eaten some hay, and eventually ate his breakfast pellets, but he did the same Friday and Saturday so I'm not feeling relaxed yet.

It's looking less like he'll need syringe feeding tonight but I'll see. He's going back in his cage now for his veg so I'll see what he does with that. Can't understand what's caused it, but just hope he starts eating properly again soon.

Hope yours are all ok.

Back