• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Lionhead quetions

foxyfaerie

Mama Doe
This is my newest addition, Azrael

Azrael.jpg

She's a 3 month old Lionhead & I have a few questions :wave:

1) Can anyone recommend a good brush? I already have these ones

Brushes.jpg

but I think I could brush her all day & still have loads of fur coming out of her!

2) At the moment she's in my spare cage which has a hay rack. When she's spayed & bonded with Lucifer & Nyx ideally I still want a hay rack - can anyone recommend one for a dog crate that wont create a load of mess outside the crate? I have the Russell Rabbit one; but when it falls out half of the hay ends up where the buns can't reach it :rolleyes:

3) I'm aware that lionheads are supposed to be docile; but Azrael doesn't seem to do very much at all. Ever. Last night I brought her downstairs for a cuddle and she sat almost as still as a statue for 30 - 45 minutes. Is this "normal" lionhead behaviour; or is she just being super-shy?

:wave:

I dont think lionheads behave in a certain way :D I have a lionhead and apart from being really naughty she acts the same way as my other three bunnies :D She loves running about and binkies all the time.

I use a baby brush to brush Scarlett, and I just get any bits of litter and hay out with my fingers :D Her boyfriend Trip grooms her quite a lot, its sweet she has a really frizzy mane when she wakes up and he always sorts it out for her :love:

I use baskets from the hay experts to put there hay in, mine always just pull the hanging ones off and chuck them about :lol:

She's lovely!

Could you fix a piece of clear perspex to the outside of the crate where the hay rack is so that the hay can't fall outside and make a mess? Or a piece of hardboard even?

Sorry, don't have any useful tips on grooming:oops:

I have to recommend using a comb on lionheads. Brushes, slickers in particular, just tackle the surface fur and seem to either matt it tighter or make it static!

I have to recommend using a comb on lionheads. Brushes, slickers in particular, just tackle the surface fur and seem to either matt it tighter or make it static!

Sorry.... but how much voltage does your average lionhead produce then? Maybe we can use this an alternative power source! Get owners to brush their lionheads, make an adapter or such to transfer the charge and voila!

Dragons den here i come!!!

Sorry.... but how much voltage does your average lionhead produce then? Maybe we can use this an alternative power source! Get owners to brush their lionheads, make an adapter or such to transfer the charge and voila!

Dragons den here i come!!!

:lol::lol::lol:

I have heard that lionheads are quite laid back too! One of my buns, Mose is a X lionhead and hes the laziest ****** around. He has lots of space etc which he hops round - possibly does a smallish binky then flops down and lies where hes landed for as long as he can :lol: I had all my buns to the vet for checkups - the other 3 were perfect weight - but the lazy lionhead was slightly overweight :oops: :lol:

I have heard that lionheads are quite laid back too! One of my buns, Mose is a X lionhead and hes the laziest ****** around. He has lots of space etc which he hops round - possibly does a smallish binky then flops down and lies where hes landed for as long as he can :lol: I had all my buns to the vet for checkups - the other 3 were perfect weight - but the lazy lionhead was slightly overweight :oops: :lol:

Hmm I don't think this is just lionheads... my male mini-lop does exactly the same thing. I think his priorities are:

1) Eat
2) Sleep
3) Eat just incase I didn't get enough or missed something tasty
4) Sleep some more as thinking is hard
5) Look for mate or have cuddle.

My o/h says this is a male condition that goes across species.... I disagreed of course.

My lionhead is total opposite - when he is let out of his run into the main garden he does about 5 laps straight off going round and round and round while Jem (lop) just stands there watching in amazements.

He is also not a big eater and is just normal size whereas Jem can eat for England and France and Germany etc etc:lol::lol:

Just goes to show they are all different in their little ways.

My lionhead is total opposite - when he is let out of his run into the main garden he does about 5 laps straight off going round and round and round while Jem (lop) just stands there watching in amazements.

Same here :lol: Scarlett is probably my most playfull bunny :shock: :lol: She just runs around and binkies nonstop :lol:

I have an 8 month old lionhead and I find a comb much better than his brush

Ive laways found my baby brush enough for Scarlett and her fur is quite thick, like I said though Trip grooms Scarlett a lot! I suppose it just depends on each bunny and how tangled their fur gets :lol: I would just try different brushed and combs until you find the one that works best for your bunny :D

my lionhead is a loony and runs about loads. he's always binkying, running through tunnels climbing on boxes etc. minstrel, my other bun is a long haired breed, but i am struggling with grooming her a bit. i have the same comb as you, but find she's getting quite matted deep down in her fur. she's a good girl and always groom,s herself really well, but i am struggling to keep the mats out. is it mainly cos she has her winter coat at the moment, and will a lot of this moult out? or will she perhaps need a trim when the weather warms up in the spring?

Flopsy is really only very fluffy around his neck and not all over and his wifey seems to be doing a good job but every so often I check his neck part and comb it - its quite fine and long so he doesn't seem to get any tangles.

I was wondering too if he will need a trim in the summer.

good comb

Hi, I use a comb which I bought from wilkinsons it's great on my lionheads I can't remember how much it was but it wasn' that expensive. I also found that the best hayrack is actually a bird feeder which I tied inside the hutch.

Back