• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Petshops-Its So Depressing :-(

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
I went into a branch of a large chain of Petshops this morning.
I immediately noticed a sick Bun :cry: a little Dutch. She was sort of squating as she could not lie down due to a bloated belly :cry:Her eyes were all squinted and she was very wobbly :cry:
The member of staff I alerted 'took her out the back'. I asked what would happen now and would she be seen by a Vet. I was told probably not til tomorrow :evil::cry::evil: as 'there may not be anything wrong with her'.......:roll:
I tried to *politely* express my concerns re how rapidly a Bun can deteriorate and was told that they would 'wait and see'. Now as we all know Rabbits seldom show obvious signs of pain/illness until they are *very* sick. This poor wee Bun was so obviously very ill :cry::cry:

I then asked about those Carrot Tree toy thingies. I explained about how once a Bun chews off the reed binding there is lots of glue. I asked if the glue was guaranteed to be non-toxic. I was told they had 'no idea' and could certainly not guarantee that the glue was safe !! :shock::shock:

So I said ' You are therefore selling a product which *might* harm an animal.
I was just told that they could not guarantee it wouldn't

:censored::censored: madness :evil::evil:

Janex

That is very bad. If there was a sick bun at my pet-shop, they would go to the vet straight away. Also, they should know their products, and shouldn't sell things that are poteniatally harmful. That is a bad pet shop. :evil:

I'm guessing this is a certain well known chain of pet stores?

If so, I'm afraid I don't go in there any more...too depressing :(

As for selling dangerous toys...I'm not surprised. As far as I'm aware there aren't the same standards that apply to products intended for humans. I think it's a case of buyer beware :(

Amy

Poor bunny. :( Was it a brown and white one in the adoption part of the shop? I saw one there a few weeks ago when we got some hutch paint. The bunnies were all looking ok, but they had no hay at all.

I'm guessing this is a certain well known chain of pet stores?

If so, I'm afraid I don't go in there any more...too depressing :(

As for selling dangerous toys...I'm not surprised. As far as I'm aware there aren't the same standards that apply to products intended for humans. I think it's a case of buyer beware :(

Amy

I just feel that by not going in I will be turning my back on the obvious staff training problem at this particular branch :? Every single staff member I spoke with was completely clueless :? very polite, but clueless :roll:

Janex

Poor bunny. :( Was it a brown and white one in the adoption part of the shop? I saw one there a few weeks ago when we got some hutch paint. The bunnies were all looking ok, but they had no hay at all.

No this Bun was normal 'stock' ( Urrrrrrrgh, hate using that word when refering to animals) TBH I dont think she will survive without treatment today. As I said she was already at the 'wobbly' stage which does not bode well at all :cry:

Janex

Surely it must be illegal for them to not get her vet treatment? She is going to die in great pain well before tomorrow - or at least be too far gone to save :cry:

When I went into our local petstore today, a woman was in there buying a beautiful white rabbit. The assistant was telling her that the rabbit must live inside during the winter as she wouldn't have got a winter coat (thumbs up there!). She then said the rabbit could go outside in a run in the spring as rabbits like to eat grass. To which the woman buying the rabbit replied "Oh, do they?" :shock:

Hubby said to me, when we were leaving "How long til that poor rabbit ends up in rescue?" We decided probably 6months or less :(

When I went into our local petstore today, a woman was in there buying a beautiful white rabbit. The assistant was telling her that the rabbit must live inside during the winter as she wouldn't have got a winter coat (thumbs up there!). She then said the rabbit could go outside in a run in the spring as rabbits like to eat grass. To which the woman buying the rabbit replied "Oh, do they?" :shock:

Hubby said to me, when we were leaving "How long til that poor rabbit ends up in rescue?" We decided probably 6months or less :(

And the worst time to put a Bun unused to grass out to graze is Springtime :roll:

Janex

Sometimes I don't think these stories will ever stop, I absolutely despair :cry:

You should mention the number of rabbits you have Jane, who knows they may just take heed when they hear that! ;)

Back