• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My old bun is mounting my new one

Riley1186

New Kit
I'm very nervous, this week we brought a new baby home, she's about 8 weeks, the bonding went well and they are getting along but occasionally my other bunny Riley will nip and then mount the baby, what can I do? She has a vet appointment next friday, i'm looking to get her spayed will this decrease that?

I'm just so scared for the new one. They are doing well they cuddle and groom eachother, and this mounting just started today.

please she just did it again and some kind of white liquid came out of one of them now she's mouting the baby backwards

Is Riley male?
Has he been neutered?

If not then he will keep pestering Baby and of course in a few months there is every possibility she will become pregnant.

If Riley is an entire male I think you need to keep him seperate from Baby until he has been neutered.
If, however, Riley is FEMALE or is a neutered male then the mounting will be mainly to show dominance and should subside once the heirarchy has been established and accepted by both Buns.

Janex

Is Riley male?
Has he been neutered?

If not then he will keep pestering Baby and of course in a few months there is every possibility she will become pregnant.

If Riley is an entire male I think you need to keep him seperate from Baby until he has been neutered.
If, however, Riley is FEMALE or is a neutered male then the mounting will be mainly to show dominance and should subside once the heirarchy has been established and accepted by both Buns.

Janex

Riley is female, I just fell so bad for the baby cuz riley is like 2 times as big as her. Is she going to be ok?

Riley is female, I just fell so bad for the baby cuz riley is like 2 times as big as her. Is she going to be ok?

Well if there is a significant size difference then I think you need to only have them together when supervised and attempt to properly bond them once *both* have been spayed.
Certainly keeping a Baby Bun in a hutch/cage with a much bigger Doe that is not the mother Bun is risky as the Baby wont be able to get away and may be accidentally injured by the over enthusiastic attentions of the bigger Doe
It will also be very stressful for the Baby. Stress can make Baby Buns poorly, especially in the first few weeks in their new home. At 8 weeks Baby will only just have been taken from her Mum which is stressful enough in itself.

I would provide Baby with her own accomodation for now. Give her plenty of hay, add a probiotic to her drinking water and also supply her with toys to prevent her getting bored

Janex

Last edited:
Back