• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Holland Lops vs. Mini Rexes?

pet_lover

New Kit
Hi everyone!

I'm new to this forum, so hey! I was just wondering what your guys' opinions were about Holland Lops and Mini Rexes, and which type you guys prefer, and why. Reasons would be really good. I think that I am looking for a rabbit that is going to be both playful and cuddly, and that will follow me around-I know that it depends on the particular rabbit and how much time you spend with him or her, but I DO want to narrow it down to a specific breed right now. Thanks in advanced to anyone!

You may also want to consider the health defects which are common in both as part of your decision. Some breeds are hardier than others and some are prone to quite nasty and often costly medical problems.

I have rexes and they are friendly and playful and have the softest fur. The problems with rexes are that they are prone to sore hocks, and need extra bedding because they have shorter fur so can't regulate body temperature well in cold weather. I would always have rexes though, they are so fun to be around. I did have dwarf lops before (not holland lops) and they are supposed to be friendly and calm and great to have around children. I like both breeds, but if you are looking for a breed that doesn't have too much genetic problems, go with a Holland Lop. I did have a Dutch rabbit before too, and he was friendly, and most Dutches on this forum are great too, so a Dutch is probably your safest option.

Last edited:
if you are looking for a friendly breed can i also suggest dutches? i have 2 in my group of 7 and they both stand out as the most friendliest and naughtiest! when i am cleaning out the run they are literally climbing all over me. good luck with your decision, and well done for looking for advice before making your final choice! ;) x jess

Is it true that Holland Lops, having supposedly flatish faces, can have dental problems? I'm sure I read something along those lines when I looked up the breed a little while ago now...

Completely agree with the Dutch rabbit point! ^-^ I adore Dutch rabbits, and have found all three I have kept, and one my friend had, to be very inquisitive and friendly.

In my opinion, you can find good pet rabbits in every breed, depends on how the rabbit was raised/bred.
I love both breeds, dream of getting a rex-fured holland lop one day:lol:

You could always look through the rabbits up for adoption in the 'in need' section and on rabbit rehome and read about their characters and you may well find your perfect bun ;)

I too have had some extraordinarily freindly and inquisitive dutches :D

Yeah, if you go for a rescue bun I don't think there's much need to look for a particular breed.
Many rescues are mix breed, of course there's the occasional purebred bun but without a pedigree you can't really be 100% sure they ARE pure. Same with pet shop bunnies, you might as well get a "pure netherland dwarf" and have it grow to 2-3 kilos. :roll:

I agree, a rescue bun in need is more important than breed, although you must be aware of the health problems of that breed and it's specific requirements, for example, I wouldn't get a Flemish Giant because I don't have enough space. When I first started to look for a rabbit, I wanted a lionhead, as you can see from my name, but then I wanted rexes and quite stupidly, didn't take into consideration their breed requirements and health problems, ie, sore hocks. Luckily, I got two gorgeous rexes who I love to bits, and to be truthful, when they came up for adoption, I grabbed at the chance of getting them purely because of their breed. There are so many rescue rabbits in need so you need some requirements that your rabbit needs to fit otherwise you would get them all, ie, small/medium size, etc.

Is it true that Holland Lops, having supposedly flatish faces, can have dental problems? I'm sure I read something along those lines when I looked up the breed a little while ago now...

Completely agree with the Dutch rabbit point! ^-^ I adore Dutch rabbits, and have found all three I have kept, and one my friend had, to be very inquisitive and friendly.

Any lops are prone to dental problems caused by the deformation of the skull misaligning the jaw which allows the ears to 'lop'.

Any lops are prone to dental problems caused by the deformation of the skull misaligning the jaw which allows the ears to 'lop'.

Is that why a lot of lops have problems with their eyes? My lop had to have her eye cleaned every day in her last few years.

Rabbits were never bred to for temperment, only ever for meat or fur so the distinction between breeds is purely physical, unlike dogs who have a range of temperments. So ANY breed basically is fine, although coat lenght and size must be brought into consideration.

Also, you ideally should get a pair of rabbits from a rescue who have already been neutered as it saves you the hassle, plus, more importantly, gives two buns a new home.:D As rabbits live 8-12 years and are fully grown by only 3 months anyway, you don't need to worry about getting them as a baby as they grow up so fast anyway.;)

Back