• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New hutch

brightspark19

Warren Scout
Hi, since my little rabbit Dandy lost his brother he seems to be very lonely in his hutch as its quite big (thistle hall from p@h) it is two storried andout about 4 1/2 foot wide by 2 1/2. and about 4 1/2 high.

He is only about the same size as a netherland dwarf so i was thinking about getting him just a single tier hutch of about 5 foot long because he is scared of going downstairs for too long.

I have 2 rabbits together in a 5 foot hutch atm, one of which i took in from my neighbour and the other i adopted, but its falling apart (they have eaten the wood between the bed and main section) and i also think it is too small.

I was going to move these two lovebirds into Dandy's hutch and get him a new one but all of the ones i see i dont thik are suitable, either too short or not high enough. I dont want a box wood one as they are too easily chew and rot easily. Ive looked in pets at home and Pampurred pets but they all seem inadequate.

I only have room for up to 5 foot and i dont need an attatched run as theyrun round the garden. My budget is about £100. (damn being a student, especially when u cant get EMA) aNY SUGGESTIONS?

Maybe Dandy needs a friend. That maybe why he's lonely. If you do get another rabbit, it'll need to be two-storey 5ft or 6ft single.

I know you said you don't need a run but I've got one of these http://www.happyhutch.com/ProductDetails.aspx?productID=44&categoryID=6 5x2 ones from happyhutch - brilliant once you've managed to build it :roll: and only £108 at the moment. What I like is I can open the door on the run and use the roof to access the top part for cleaning, so I don't have to pick up my rabbits (they hate it!) and I can keep the mesh on the hutch at the top permanently covered with a clear plastic shower curtain :) Also, bearing in mind they are shut in when the weather's bad, I think bigger is better, nothing less than 2' deep is any good for shelter, and the run on this model is not only sheltered by the hutch, but is lovely and cool in summer, because it's standing on concrete and is easy to shade from the sun :)

I know you said you don't need a run but I've got one of these http://www.happyhutch.com/ProductDetails.aspx?productID=44&categoryID=6 5x2 ones from happyhutch - brilliant once you've managed to build it :roll: and only £108 at the moment. What I like is I can open the door on the run and use the roof to access the top part for cleaning, so I don't have to pick up my rabbits (they hate it!) and I can keep the mesh on the hutch at the top permanently covered with a clear plastic shower curtain :) Also, bearing in mind they are shut in when the weather's bad, I think bigger is better, nothing less than 2' deep is any good for shelter, and the run on this model is not only sheltered by the hutch, but is lovely and cool in summer, because it's standing on concrete and is easy to shade from the sun :)

Im getting one of those for our shed x

Thanks for your suggestions. I never knew that site existed ill have a nosey around.

I got dandy two friends and tried to get them to bond over days and weeks but he cant take to another rabbit, only his brother who passed away. The other rabbits have sinced bonded with my other ones so dandy is by himself and 7 is my limit.

Ill have a look on that website, cheers

aslong as you spend alot of time with him, being on his own is ok for the time being.

Because he is outdoors, it is preferable that you try to bond him, its worthwile contacting your local rescue to see if they will do this for you x

I did take him to the RSPCA but they only had 3 does at the time and he beat 2 of them up. Where he is so little he is threatened by other rabbits and honestly is so much happier in his own company. He just likes knowing there are rabbits near by, but if there in his hutch, he goes berzerk.

When you say he beat the does up - how long did he have to get used to them first? Was he just put in with them? The best way is to have the prospective friend for the bun side by side but in their own accommodation. Even for a few weeks toget them totally used to each other before attempting them in somewhere where there is nothing to separate them. Once they live happily next door to each other and show signs of friendship - ignoring each other completely or sitting beside each other through the bars or even attempting to groom each other then you can try to actually introduce them together :D

I did take him to the RSPCA but they only had 3 does at the time and he beat 2 of them up. Where he is so little he is threatened by other rabbits and honestly is so much happier in his own company. He just likes knowing there are rabbits near by, but if there in his hutch, he goes berzerk.

I've got 2 singles next door to each other and they are happy just to have some bunny company in the neighbourhood :)

Back