• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Katy not eating much-can I give Baytril?

bunny babe

Wise Old Thumper
Katy is still not eating as much as I would like her to. Today she has had parsely, carrot, broccoli and some mushed up pellets (only a bit though). She has done a few poos this morning but only one or two since then when I have moved her around the garden. Is this normal after what she has been through?

Could I give her some metacam in case she is in pain? She is not grinding/crunching her teeth. If so, how much - she weighted in at 1.6kg.

I am still very worried about her as she just wants to lie down.

Last edited:
How's is she doing this morning?

I've found with my lot that they often take a little while to get 'back to normal' after GI problems. I would keep an eye on her, if you are still unhappy, pop her back to the vets. In the meantime, if she is eating on her own and pooping, I'd see how it goes.

Lots of vibes

FC xx

Katy is still not eating as much as I would like her to. Today she has had parsely, carrot, broccoli and some mushed up pellets (only a bit though). She has done a few poos this morning but only one or two since then when I have moved her around the garden. Is this normal after what she has been through?

Could I give her some metacam in case she is in pain? She is not grinding/crunching her teeth. If so, how much - she weighted in at 1.6kg.

I am still very worried about her as she just wants to lie down.

I dont know why I missed this yesterday :?

I would not give Baytril without speaking with the Vet who most recently treated Katy.

I also think you maybe need to look at the possible causes of her recent GI Stasis as Stasis is often a *secondary symptom* to another primary problem. More often than not some sort of tooth related issues are involved.

As for Metacam, again as Katy has been so poorly and has probably had lots of meds whilst at the Vets I really would check with the Vet before administering anything yourself.

You may find that giving Katy an anti ulcer med like Ranitidine (Zantac) or Cimetidine (Tagamet) helps. When a Bun has been in stasis/anorexic they are at high risk of GI ulceration. So her tummy may still be sore and of course giving Metacam to a Bun with a tum that *might* already be ulcerated is not a good idea. Perhaps you could speak with the Vet about the anti GI ulcer meds too.

For now aslong as there is a bit going in and a bit coming out and Katy remains well hydrated I would just keep a close eye on her. If she stops pooing again today or appears to be getting quieter/anorexic again then I'd get in touch with the Vet straight away.

Janex

Thanks guys, I thought I would check as I know I rang vets Boxing night to check if I could give her some and they said no but was not sure why. When she was in the vet she was given Buscopan (my Mum has that!!) to relax her.

There was less poo yesterday than when I brought her home on Friday night but she was doing the odd couple throughout the day.

Before going to bed early hours this morning I syringe fed her lots of water which she was more than happy to take, about 40-50 ml (lost count of the number of syringes:oops:). She did eat some more food last night.

Overnight she has only passed approx 2 tiny, tiny hard poops (half size of a pea) and I have just let her out as it is mild and she has just passed a small caetrophe.

I thought she would be passing more by now - is this normal or am I being a paranoid bunny mummy? I have never been through this before.

The vet can see no reason why Katy has come on with this, he has checked her teeth and they are fine. He said it could have been inflammation of the PS which is why he has advised Baytril until Monday.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, I thought I would check as I know I rang vets Boxing night to check if I could give her some and they said no but was not sure why. When she was in the vet she was given Buscopan (my Mum has that!!) to relax her.

There was less poo yesterday than when I brought her home on Friday night but she was doing the odd couple throughout the day.

Before going to bed early hours this morning I syringe fed her lots of water which she was more than happy to take, about 40-50 ml (lost count of the number of syringes:oops:). She did eat some more food last night.

Overnight she has only passed approx 2 tiny, tiny hard poops (half size of a pea) and I have just let her out as it is mild and she has just passed a small caetrophe.

I thought she would be passing more by now - is this normal or am I being a paranoid bunny mummy? I have never been through this before.

The vet can see no reason why Katy has come on with this, he has checked her teeth and they are fine. He said it could have been inflammation of the PS which is why he has advised Baytril until Monday.

Well if the Vet has advised the Baytril then I'd give it. I was a bit confused as your thread title was 'can I give Baytril' but perhaps you meant 'can I give Metacam' :?

Anyway, if the PS is inflammed then she will still have reduced stomach capacity/gut motility. I do feel Ranitidine really helps Dermot, my Bun with a suspected Pyloric Stenosis. I also keep him on a very basic diet of loads of hay, a tiny amount of SS and A+P pellets, a *very tiny* portion of greens + water. He gets absolutely nothing else.

The problem with any inflammation of the pylorus is that although symptoms may resolve on treatment they recur when treatment stops or when the trigger of an attack kicks in. I still dont know what the trigger(s) are for Dermot despite doing a process of elimination with his diet.
It appears that some cases of PS can be congenital in origin :?

If you are concerned about Katy today then I would try to speak with a Vet. If her stomach has limited emptying ability due to inflammation of the Pylorus then if the stomach gets too full symptoms similar to before may occur.

Crikey, I am so sorry you are having such a tricky time with Katy. At least she has you to nurse her

Janex

I think you're doing the best thing syringing extra water into her - it can't hurt. I don't really think buscopan's a good idea though - one of my rabbits went into stasis the other day and I got the buscopan out that I keep for the piggies, and read it - it is designed to stop spasms in the gut. Well if there is no movement in the gut, food will stop too, so I decided against it and gave her infacol (infant's wind medicine - harmless ingredients) and water. I would have thought she needs a medication that speeds her gut up, not slows it down more? Not sure of the back-story to this but stasis means 'stopped', so the idea is to restart the gut and treat the wind that gives the rabbit pain. Did your vet explain why he used buscopan?

Is she eating hay? If she's not eating hay she needs to be syringe-fed fibreplex, as sometimes they can have problems after a bout of stasis with all the low fibre food just sitting there in the gut causing wind and getting too big to pass, which is why syringing water is a great idea. I have to say I struggled to syringe 10ml - you are brilliant managing 40ml! :)

Just realised my title says can I give Baytril!! Meant Metacam - I am so tired from all of this I don't know what I am saying.

The good news now (9.30am) is that she has actually just passed quite a few decent sized plops (they had some "stringy" stuff over). I am relieved to see this.

I will continue to syringe feed her the water - she is so good and sucks on the syringe like a baby :D

I think you're doing the best thing syringing extra water into her - it can't hurt. I don't really think buscopan's a good idea though - one of my rabbits went into stasis the other day and I got the buscopan out that I keep for the piggies, and read it - it is designed to stop spasms in the gut. Well if there is no movement in the gut, food will stop too, so I decided against it and gave her infacol (infant's wind medicine - harmless ingredients) and water. I would have thought she needs a medication that speeds her gut up, not slows it down more? Not sure of the back-story to this but stasis means 'stopped', so the idea is to restart the gut and treat the wind that gives the rabbit pain. Did your vet explain why he used buscopan?

Is she eating hay? If she's not eating hay she needs to be syringe-fed fibreplex, as sometimes they can have problems after a bout of stasis with all the low fibre food just sitting there in the gut causing wind and getting too big to pass, which is why syringing water is a great idea. I have to say I struggled to syringe 10ml - you are brilliant managing 40ml! :)

I cn only think if Buscopan is designed to relax muscles/slow down digestion the aim would be to loosen the PS and allow more food to pass through, its getting trapped because its inflammed and tight.

Also if the food is passing too quickly but cannot get through the PS it is going to back up in the stomach possibly causing a blockage.

I don know if this is the case but it seems a rational possibility.

Back