• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Where can i buy hay online?

GregTheBunny

Warren Scout
I wondered if anyone had any recommendations as there seems to be so many, my buns have been having p@h timothy hay but i seem to be tripping to the shops all the time now, is there a good quality (and pref cheaper) timothy hay available to be delivered?

I use The Hay Experts, they're brilliant, I buy everything from them apart from cheapy meadow hay which I just buy in a big bag from P@H when I'm near it. I typically buy 2x Excel Timothy Hay with herbs, Brome Hay, 2x Friendly Pure Dried Grass, Sciene Selective and Megazorb from them... and any toys or treats that take my fancy.

I second that, My buns dont even bother about the expensive hays they used to love now they have that! :D

Does it really unpack to a huge amount of hay? I might go to the show in Harrogate at the end of January and have a look at their stand there.

Does it really unpack to a huge amount of hay? I might go to the show in Harrogate at the end of January and have a look at their stand there.

I buy it in bulk, If you buy 10 sacks it works out at £4 per sack (which is ace for the amount and quality of hay! :D) Me & Emma have 5 sacks each, which lasts about a month with me giving them massive amounts of hay - Its fab :D

I second that, My buns dont even bother about the expensive hays they used to love now they have that! :D

What is the difference between the stalky and soft and do yours have a preference??

I like the look of that site. Ill try there next time. Ive been using SPH supplies

Mine prefer the stalky - they will eat the soft but with great contempt :lol: The soft really is that - much softer whereas the stalky is more uneven and coarse. Others say their buns will only eat the soft though! Personally I don't think it does unpack into a really huge amount of hay but it definitely works out cheaper (and better quality) than normal pet shop stuff. Cheapest of all is to find a farm and buy it by the bale for around £3-4 but of course that requires somewhere to store it!

I have 8 piggies, and 2 bunnies. I was forever running to the pet shop on a Sunday (or rather my mum was) to buy hay, which was costing me a fortune. The piggies eat tonnes of the stuff, and Maya bunny was so fussy about the freshness....luckily i have a wonderful boss who gave me a sample of hay from her ponies stash......Maya absolutely lubbed it......so now i get a bale of hay from my boss (and she only picks the best).....and in exchange i give £2.50.....which goes towards buying a bottle of wine :lol:

ok, so now i am a little confused :oops: i usually buy the packets of timothy hay in p@h, what size are they then? just trying to compare price and dont want to order too much! Also if i am going to order online i want to order straw (i am using it atm because it is soooo cold) and wood shavings, none of those website seem to do all 3 :? ??

www.dustfreehay.co.uk does hay and straw ;) I've heard people say the straw is good, nice and soft :) The hay is far better value than stuff from PAH (especially if you buy it in bulk) and its much better quality too. Woodshavings are not the best thing to use as litter, they are dusty and its possible that the phenols they give off are damaging to the liver. There are other alternatives such as megazorb which is very cheap and absorbant. www.megazorb.co.uk

Last edited:
I use the Hay experts, they are really really good. Mine love Pure Patures hay, can't get enough of it!

www.dustfreehay.co.uk does hay and straw ;) I've heard people say the straw is good, nice and soft :) The hay is far better value than stuff from PAH (especially if you buy it in bulk) and its much better quality too. Woodshavings are not the best thing to use as litter, they are dusty and its possible that the phenols they give off are damaging to the liver. There are other alternatives such as megazorb which is very cheap and absorbant. www.megazorb.co.uk

oh no, i didnt realise shavings are bad for them, i usually have about an inch of shavings all over their hutch, can i do the same with the megazorb?

I used to buy from the Hay experts until my lot deicided they like common old meadow hay at £5 a sack!
When i get a shed though i will be buying from dust free hay as it will be cheaper and i can buy loads :)

but approx what size are the p@h bags? i just dont want to order too much from one of those sites, for example how many p@h bags worth are there in a 1.8kg alfalfa king bag?

I havent got one, i ran out a couple of days ago and went to local pet shop :evil:

but there is no weight on that bag either, i think the timothy hay is the same weight as the excel herbage i used to buy and that seems to be 1kg :? maybe lol

think i will just order and keep fingers crossed lol

Back