• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Carriers

mrs munkee

Mama Doe
What type of carriers do you all use for vet trips etc? Do you have the top opening ones which must be easier? I have noticed they are twice the price though. I was just wondering how different people get on.

I saw a nice rigid carrier for £12 yesterday, but its not top opening and i just don't think i'd get the buns out of it at the vets.

I only ask as i'm a complete vet novice and i'm so nervous :oops::roll:. I just want to make sure everything is as easy and manageable as poss when the buns go for their jabs next month.

Oh thanks bunnyhugger! that looks really good and great value! will show it too hubby tonight and hopefully order it tomorrow.

btw i love your website! it was one of the first sites i came across when researching rabbits - so thanks for all the good advice and for not putting me off! :D

I had a top opening one which I found hard to get the bun into as he didn't like being picked up. Also once I got another bun I got a large cat like one with a front opening big enough for 2 buns and I find it easier to get them out at the vets.

Angie (bunnymadhouse) advised me on this type and I got it from wilkinsons for £10:D

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/8705709/Trail/searchtext>PET+CARRIER.htm

Ive got this one, top comes off for the vets - I really like it. Also got the smaller one argos does, which i quite like too but wouldnt really fit two grown buns in it :D X

been looking at this one as we got a voucher for xmas. does the door stay on when you take the top off? if not its not really ideal for two buns :?

our buns don't really mind bein picked up, but they will try and hide at the back of wherever they are which means top opening is best option.

been looking at this one as we got a voucher for xmas. does the door stay on when you take the top off? if not its not really ideal for two buns :?

our buns don't really mind bein picked up, but they will try and hide at the back of wherever they are which means top opening is best option.

Not totally sure what you mean, but I find it great for two buns :) X

Your welcome bunny hugger :wave:

Becki, I assume you meant the whole top half of the carrier unclips and lifts off? If so, how does the door stay on. only i was looking at one in p@h yesterday, but when i unclipped the top half the door just falls off and it was a load of faffing to put it back on again :?

Frisky Clover, p@h also had decent looking fabric carriers for only £9, but I was worried about little accidents and cleaning it - unless you have very very well trained buns ;):D. I was also worried about safety in the event of a car crash, but if you crashed that bad a plastic rigid carrier wouldn't fair much better anyway, i guess.

Thanks guys

i have one very similar to becky's one, as far as i remember i just take the door off then unclip the top, its not hard to put back together again. and its only necessary if the bun won't come out. :D

couldnt a bun chew through one of those fabric ones? :s

I have numerous varieties but the esiest are the top opening ones, quicker and less stressful to pull rabbit out in the vets.

My top opening ones however have and odd catch mechanism which the vet nurses cant seem to understand. When taking Lola home from her spey it had not been closed properly but we didnt realise until the lid fell off and she fell out in the middle of the road :shock::shock::shock:

Luckily the base fell on top of her and trapped her underneath.

Needless to say I souble check them now.

I brought mine from Wilkinsons. They do different sizes, and they were quite cheap.

I brought a small one, when i got Maya but it was a bit of squeeze for him. So i use that one for my 2 ferrets, and i brought another that is plenty Big enough for Maya.....he can lay in it....flat out!!

i have 2 atlas 30's. im thinking of getting a bigger one for the two of them to go in together but going to wait and see if they fall in love first

I have an atlas 20 which is top opening and front opening. The whole top half of the carrier comes off the base too (although I can't get it off easily as it is really stiff). Its a good sturdy carrier. The door comes out when you take the top off and it came from PAH so maybe thats the one you saw too? You have to rotate the door clips to slot the door in and then again to secure it, but its not too hard to get the hang of. It also easily fits my two in. If you get it though, be careful of washing the cushion inside. The cover of mine shrank really badly and has now been replaced by a towel :lol: Hope thats of help :)

I bought a nylon bag carrier but the zip broke within 6 months:(
Yesterday I went out to P@H & bought an Atlas 20 which looks a good size for 2 buns & appears to be sturdy. It was expensive so I hope it lasts!

Back