• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

can they?

Radish

Mama Doe
Can two female rabbits be kept together if they meet at a very early age and they are neutered as soon as old enough?

would this depend upon the breed of rabbit?

My first pair of rabbits were a pair of does and met at 10 & 12 weeks old in the pet shop.

They weren't spayed cos it wasn't the "done" thing then (oh, 10 years ago, maybe) but they never fought once in 6 years.

Occasionally yes, but there are still quite a few female rabbits (even sisters) who fly at each other after a certain age. Could take 6 monhts, could take years.
Neutering is definitely recommended.;)

they can, it just depends on the rabbits. and as said above, sometimes an apparently happy pair can suddenly fall out - although i have seen threads about the same thing happening with m/f pairs so i guess there's just no predicting bunnies!

I have a pair of bonded unrelated does and they live together quite happily. Both were spayed when they hit 6 months.

Just a little question to those of you who keep does together (just borrowing your post Radish, hope you don't mind)
When you neuter one or two of a bonded pair, do you keep them together while they are recovering? Or if not, do you have to bond them again afterwards?

Just a little question to those of you who keep does together (just borrowing your post Radish, hope you don't mind)
When you neuter one or two of a bonded pair, do you keep them together while they are recovering? Or if not, do you have to bond them again afterwards?

I kept mine together all the time and had no problems

Yes they can. In some cases older neutered does can be bonded too but this depends on their personality.

Back