• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Seringing Medicine?

Kenno

Warren Scout
I've been seringing Tomee his medicine for the past 4 days with the help of my sister. She's been holding him in a towel and I've been seringing it in as he struggled too much for me to do it on my own.

Well my sister's going away for the weekend and I can't seringe him on my own. My mum won't do it cos she's not confident at holding him and she doesn't want to seringe him either. And I can't do it by myself.

So, my question is, is the medicine as effective if I put it on say a carrot (he loves carrot) as it is seringing it him?

Depends on the medication and if you can insure he eats all of it.

I syringe feed on my own all the time using this method:

Wrap the rabbit up tightly in a towel and sit on the floor with your knees raised. Place him on his back so his head is raised between your knee's.

With one hand gently hold his head and tilt it up right so he is facing you.

Fill the syringe and insert the tip into the side of his mouth into the gap between his incisors and molars.

Slowly syringe the feed into his mouth allowing him time to swallow each bit. Keep his head raised so as not to aspirate him.

He may like the taste better if you dilute the medication with a little pure apple juice.

He's on baytril.

I had done it on my own the first time but he's aware of what's coming now and it's so hard to keep him still. As soon as he see's the towel it's incredible hard to catch him and wrap him in it. He just squirms and kicks the whole time.

I'll try the method you suggested. He's not due for his medication for a few hours yet though.

Yep buns are a nightmare with baytril as it's really bitter. Apple juice is a good suggestion and I've found that ribena also works. Or letting it soak into a little piece of apple - carrot is harder as it doesn't really absorb it, but if you have enough you could give it a go. I've also syringed a tiny bit onto several pieces of their pelleted food and hand fed them and that seems to work. The two things that work best for me are to syringe it into a little piece of banana or mix it up with a little porridge oats and water. As these won't be normal diet things though I'd suggest only using as small amount as you can get away with to disguise the baytril!

Thanks for the suggestions. :)

So it doesn't really matter if it goes on food, the baytril would be just as effective?

Adding it to the food doesn't make it less effective. I find that putting it on a small(very small!!) piece of digestive biscuit works.

Thank you for the link.

If only my bunny would stay that still! He's not having any of the towel and he's clawing me to pieces! :roll:

I think I'll just put it on some lovely food and if he won't eat it my mum's going to have to help me.

Adding it to the food doesn't make it less effective. I find that putting it on a small(very small!!) piece of digestive biscuit works.

Thanks, I might try that!

I've had a lot of good food suggestions so, hopefully something will work!

I would guess a little piece of bread would soak it up best for the size of the 'naughty food' - I've given it on greens to Maa, but as she drags it all over the place I guess some of the baytril will come off on the floor, so I'll use bread next time (perish the thought of 'next time', but it's bound to happen one day :roll:)

These things are sent to try us me thinks!! I wasted tso much trying diff methods and in teh end they were pinned down against their will - cruel I know but better than gettign poorly (few food bribes later and all is forgotten - until the next dose!)

First time round I dotted the dose on some parsley for Molly and that was actuallyl fine for a week.... this latest time she was wise to it and so wriggly!!! Lost a few doses around her chops but did manage to get it in.
I put her on a towel on the kitchen unit and put her so her bum was under my armpit and her haed cradled between my forearm and chest and held her tight.... took a few goes but she got about 90% of the 10 doses!! (not all in one go obviously!)... just make sure it is in the side of their mouth and pointing toward the other cheek so you dont squirt it down their throat.
Charlie was a far better patient... sometimes the strange surroundings (kitchen unit) is enough to still them.

Wrap the rabbit up tightly in a towel and sit on the floor with your knees raised. Place him on his back so his head is raised between your knee's.
Sooz - love this method - will try if there is a next time :D

Are rabbits allowed bread?

Not as far as I know Kenno - porridge oats are ok tho :D Could also try some strong smelling herbs like basil or pop into a tomatoe? I stuck with seringe feeding it tho cos was so concerned with them getting their meds... just set the tiem aside and perserved... as long as you are confident and focused it shouldnt be too bad - they will sense your anxiety tho :roll:

I put it on a carrot and he's eaten it! Although I would much prefer to seringe it into him.

I'm going to try and be abit more forceful tomorrow but he is a big bunny and hurts when he kicks/scratches you! But I'll give it another try! ;)

I would be careful what you offer him the medicine on seing as he is recovering from a recent GI upset. Avoid anything he has never eaten before or anything sugary. Antibiotics can cause enough gut issues on their own without compounding the problem.

As far as porridge goes make sure they are fully expanded before feeding, I have had a bun swell like a balloon before now. Not pleasent.

oooh well unexpectedly I had to syringe one of my bunnies for a couple of hours this evening :shock: I knelt on the floor, flung a towel over her and wrapped it around her, and backed her up between my legs, with her held firmly between my thighs, she had nowhere to run to, so gave up :) She did scratch my inner thigh first time though, as I wasn't holding her tight enough with my legs - I was thinking hands hold, but no - legs need to hold too! Basically she was sitting straight upright, on her bum, facing away from me, with her back against my chest - I held her front paws under her chin and lifted her chest up, wrapped in the towel, in my left hand, and leant down so my face was next to hers and I could see where to pop the syringe in between her teeth.

Oops ok, I won't use a carrot again!

I think I'll just have to go for seringing, I've had a lot of tips so hopefully I can put them into use! I'll try the bunny burito that could work if I get it right!

Back