• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Dental bun U/D hes home...

Vix

Alpha Buck
My dental bunny has taken a turn for the worse again and has lost SO much weight and seems to be really weak :cry:
I am taking him to the vets first thing tomorow but what I wanted to know is whether it is fair to keep putting him through anaesthetics or not? :(
He has always been a very old/fragile looking bun since i got him and i dont want to keep putting him through it when im not sure his quality of life in between dentals is that great.

Last edited:
My dental bunny has taken a turn for the worse again and has lost SO much weight and seems to be really weak :cry:
I am taking him to the vets first thing tomorow but what I wanted to know is whether it is fair to keep putting him through anaesthetics or not? :(
He has always been a very old/fragile looking bun since i got him and i dont want to keep putting him through it when im not sure his quality of life in between dentals is that great.

What sort of Dental problems does he have?
What sort of food is he able to eat?
Is he on any medication for pain relief ?
Do you weigh him weekly to assess exactly how much weight he is losing?
Has he shown any other symptoms such as excessive drinking and urination?
How old is he?

Sorry for all the questions but we may be able to offer more advice if we have a bit more background info

Janex

Ok ill try my best to answer these:
1. He has to have his back teeth burred/cut, they don't tell me which :oops:.
2. He can eat pellets at the moment but not much else i don't think.
3. He's not on pain relief at the minute although he does get this when he has his dentals.
4. No i don't weigh him weekly, but he is scarily thin, and it has happened really quickly this time moreso than usual.
5. Well i'm not really sure on this one i dont think so, but he is bonded so its hard to tell tbh.
6. I was told he was 3/4 when i got him but i think he is a fair bit older than this, as he seems "old" and 3/4/5 is not old for a bunny really.

Hope this helps, its so upsetting seeing him like this :cry:

Ok ill try my best to answer these:
1. He has to have his back teeth burred/cut, they don't tell me which :oops:.
2. He can eat pellets at the moment but not much else i don't think.
3. He's not on pain relief at the minute although he does get this when he has his dentals.
4. No i don't weigh him weekly, but he is scarily thin, and it has happened really quickly this time moreso than usual.
5. Well i'm not really sure on this one i dont think so, but he is bonded so its hard to tell tbh.
6. I was told he was 3/4 when i got him but i think he is a fair bit older than this, as he seems "old" and 3/4/5 is not old for a bunny really.

Hope this helps, its so upsetting seeing him like this :cry:

Well if his weight loss has been rapid it *might* indicate another underlying problem aswell as his teeth
Has he ever had any history of Snuffles/abscesses ? Pasteurella can present as just weightloss in the first instance.
Monitoring his weight would be useful as would monitoring exactly what he does eat/drink and how much ( as far as you can as he lives with another Bun) Could it be that the other Bun is actually eating all the pellets befor Dental Bun gets a chance to? Do you actually watch them eat?

If he is drinking and weeing alot, particularly if the wee is very dilute , that combined with rapid weightloss *might* indicate a Kidney/Liver problem. A blood test would determine how these two organs are functioning.

I would take him back to the Vets to discuss all of the above and also look into how you go about monitoring his eating/weight. It would be a shame to let him go now without first seeing if he does have a low grade infection that is contributing to his weightloss.

Janex

Right, I had to go to work but decided that he couldn't wait until tomorow so got my mom to take him to the vets for me.
The vets think he's in a pretty bad way, he has an eye abcess and mouth ulcers although his teeth dont look too bad :? The vet suspects there may be another problem such as renal failure. They're keeping him and his girlfriend in over the weekend as he's so weak and then on monday we will see where to go from there :cry:
I've had him for about 12-18 months and hes probably had about three GA dentals in that time as well as a neuter. I feel like such a bad owner at the moment i can't stop crying :cry:

3 GA dentals in 18 months is actually pretty good going so his teeth cant be all that bad :?

The retrobulbar abcess however could be responsible for a lot of the problems you have mentioned and requires pretty aggressive treatment.

There are a lot of people on here who have had rabbits recover from RB abcesses and, despite removal of the affected eye often being neccesary, the rabbit has gone on to lead a long and normal life.

I myself have such a rabbit though I cannot take credit for nursing her through treatment, that was done by her ex-owner.

I hope your vet can come up with a suitable treatment plan and in the meantime, chin up X

I agree with Sooz that 3 dentals in 18 months is good going. He's in the best place at the moment as the vets will be able to keep an eye on him, fluid intake is important and they'll be able to make sure he doesn't dehydrate. Thinking of you over this weekend. Keep positive for him.x

Poor Bun :cry:

I hope that he will respond to the treatment the Vets are now giving. He doesn't sound well enough for a big op' just yet but once he has been stabalised on antibiotics, pain relief and fluids things may improve.

*If* he does have a retrobulbar abscess then I think I would want the Vet to run a blood test to check his Kidney/Liver function before agreeing to any surgical proceedures. Removal of an eye is a big op' and really needs the Buns major organs to be functioning well.

Good luck and please keep us updated

Janex

Poor bun, I hope that he improves over the weekend. You are doing the best thing for him so don't feel bad. Believe me, 3 dentals in 18 months is good.(One of mine has consious ones every 4 weeks at moment-since Sept- and has just had GA-hoping it will be longer now).

Has your vet done X-rays of his skull to check his teeth? If he does have any op, I would aks to have this done at the same time.

Thanks everybody, I rang the vets earlier and he is looking brighter and eating well (and apparently giving his girlybun a run for her money :lol:), the nurse has said he is obviously still weak and that they can't tell me much at the moment as they are just trying to build him up.

He has passed some semi-solid faeces instead of diarrhoea, which is also good so i shall ring again tomorow at 10.30 - 11.00am to see how he has been overnight.

I just wish I knew what was wrong with him :cry: Keep thinking what if he was ill before i noticed what if he's been suffering etc, but he's such a frail bun anyway :(

I will keep everyone updated and will no doubt be asking for lots of advice *if* my little fella comes home.

Well he's come home this afternoon after being at the vets all over the weekend, he seems a bit stronger but still far from being ok.

The vets have given him tiacil drops for his eye its an eye ulcer not an abcess (crossed wires with my mom taking him to vets) and mouth ulcers he is on antibiotics and has bio lapis to go in his water.

The vets have said to monitor him and take him back next week as he is too weak/thin to have anaesthetic, they have also tested his urine which appears normal.

They have changed him onto excel pellets instead of a n p and told me to feed ad lib does this sound right :?.

Well he's come home this afternoon after being at the vets all over the weekend, he seems a bit stronger but still far from being ok.

The vets have given him tiacil drops for his eye its an eye ulcer not an abcess (crossed wires with my mom taking him to vets) and mouth ulcers he is on antibiotics and has bio lapis to go in his water.

The vets have said to monitor him and take him back next week as he is too weak/thin to have anaesthetic, they have also tested his urine which appears normal.

They have changed him onto excel pellets instead of a n p and told me to feed ad lib does this sound right :?.

I would go with the Vet's advice. Just carefully monitor his poo to make sure his tum does not get upset from the change of food. If he finds eating difficult whilst his mouth is still sore you could try softening his pellet feed with some warm water. If he is still reluctant to eat much he made need daily pain relief so you'd need to get in touch with the Vet again.
I hope your Bun feels better soon

Janex

I would go with the Vet's advice. Just carefully monitor his poo to make sure his tum does not get upset from the change of food. If he finds eating difficult whilst his mouth is still sore you could try softening his pellet feed with some warm water. If he is still reluctant to eat much he made need daily pain relief so you'd need to get in touch with the Vet again.
I hope your Bun feels better soon

Janex

This is the thing his teeth do have spikes but the vet said not very bad ones and all through this he has NEVER lost his appetite, i even caught him eating hay earlier which is rare when he's healthy :?

The vets did say that he was drinking a lot though and he certainly has since he's been home so i suspect he may have something else wrong with him :(.

This is the thing his teeth do have spikes but the vet said not very bad ones and all through this he has NEVER lost his appetite, i even caught him eating hay earlier which is rare when he's healthy :?

The vets did say that he was drinking a lot though and he certainly has since he's been home so i suspect he may have something else wrong with him :(.

Perhaps you could ask your vets to run blood tests on him to check his renal function.

You could also have him titre tested for EC exposure or, due to the costs associated with this test, worm him with a 6 week course of Panacur as a precaution.

Back