• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Self-Vaccination.

Sooz

Wise Old Thumper
Next year I would like to start introducing vaccinations for the rescues, at the moment only those deemed at risk are done and we lose out on these as the adoption fee remains the same.

I know I will need to raise the adoption fee but would like to keep the cost minimal, to around £35 per rabbit.

Ive looked through some old threads and have seen that it is supposedly legal to vaccinate rabbits yourself. Is this the case and if so how do you go about getting the vaccine? Do you need a prescription?

Does anyone self-vaccinate?

BTW I am aware of the dangers of jabbing yourself with a VHD vaccine ;)

I would chat with your vets. Delivery and storage might be an issue. Not sure if the vaccs need to be refrigerated.

Either your vets of the manufacturers would know the legal situation.

Tamsin

Im trying to get an idea so I can decide which practice to approach and get the better deal with out upsetting anyone in the process ;)

Both vaccs are listed as a POM-V (Prescription Only Medicine, Veterinary) which means it needs to be prescribed by a vet after a clinical assessment.

I don't know if you'd be allowed to get a prescription then buy and administer it yourself.

Datasheet for myxi: http://www.intervet.co.uk/products_public/nobivac_myxo/010_overview.asp

The VHD vaccs Cylap and Lapinject both have to be refrigerated so I'm guessing delivery is expensive. They do come in multi-dose viles (can't remember if it's 5 or 10 doses in each) which is meant to work out cheaper.

I was thinking along the lines of having it delivered to the vets alongside there's and then either paying for it direct to the manufacturer, or, if thats too cheeky :oops: buying from the vets at a slight mark up.

Either way its got to be cheaper than £15 per vac :shock: its just the administration side Im not sure on.

The net has zero info unless im searching the wrong terms.

having worked in a vets the mxyi one is the hardest you really need to know what your doing with this one as you need 90% fully under the skin and 10% imbetween it so i dont recomend doing it unless you vet would train you to be compedent to do this correctly if you inject the full 100% it works less effective

having worked in a vets the mxyi one is the hardest you really need to know what your doing with this one as you need 90% fully under the skin and 10% imbetween it so i dont recomend doing it unless you vet would train you to be compedent to do this correctly if you inject the full 100% it works less effective

I have seen enough myxomatosis jabs administered to know that 10% must be administered intradermally.

I have undertaken training by my vets for the administration of all intravenous and intramuscular drugs which have been prescribed for the rescues in the past and would expect the same for both vaccines.

I certainly do not want to jab myself with a VHD vaccine as Im quite attached to my fingers.

Yep, £15 a jab is excessive! Do you get a discount at all? Might be worth seeing if they'll do you a special bulk bunny vacc/neuter deal.

The other option would be to contract a vet (or vet nurse?) privately to do them. Paying a vet an hour a fortnight might work out cheaper than £15 a pop.

Tam

I do the VHD Vaccinations myself ( after careful training from a Vet!) but I dont like injecting into the earbase so Christobel comes over to do all the Myxo ones. I would not like to rely on 'skill' alone to make sure that the intradermal part is given if all the Myxo Vac is done in the scruff :?
FHB did some work on the efficacy of giving the intradermal part in the scruff (ie relying on the skill of the person administering it) and she found that hardly any actually went intradermal :? I dont know the full details of the study. It was done using cadavers :cry:
Also, the Myxo Vac Manufacturers data info' leaflet says that the intradermal dose is best done in the earbase

Christobel orders the VHD Vaccines for me (I use LAPINJECT) and I collect them from the Surgery.

Janex :D

Last edited:
Our vet came to vaccinate all our 13 for VHD. I cant remember which one she used. It had 5 doses in a vial so we effectively paid for 15 but it only cost us £70. £60 for the vials of vaccine and £10 for the home visit. So it may be worth speaking to you vet about bulk vaccinating?!
Thats effectively just under a fiver per jab :D We were well pleased!

I am going to disscuss both options with them but it is unlikely one of my practices will discount but they may order the vaccines in for me. The mark up at this practice is extortionate if you think £15 per jab is bad :shock:

I just wanted to make sure I am not asking anyone to do something illegal.

How long does the vaccine (in a multidose vial) last after opening?

Do you know any breeders who vaccinate their own buns, to ask them? A patient of mine ages ago was a rabbit breeder and said that the vaccs were ordered from europe and worked out at a £1 per vaccine.

We looked into this when we first started 8 years ago.

Although we found a vet that was happy to supply the vaccines they wouldn't supply the cards, which meant there was no proof that the animal was vaccinated and even if they had supplied the cards we where told they have to be signed by a vet or vet nurse. So that makes them void for people wanting to board rabbits etc.

Just don't want you vaccinating and then finding you've got no proof if you can't get the cards supplied or cross customers if they're turned down for boarding places etc.

Things may have changed over the years though so I may be wrong in my information.:)

Just don't want you vaccinating and then finding you've got no proof if you can't get the cards supplied or cross customers if they're turned down for boarding places etc.

Things may have changed over the years though so I may be wrong in my information.:)

With this info it would appear that you need to find a supply of vaccine and a vet friend who would be happy to inject (if you wanted) and sign the cards (if you need the cards). Any vets that would like to be friends with Sooz?! ;)

Although I know nothing of this subject I find it very interesting so would be interested to know how this works out and what you organise. Good luck with your self-vaccinating :D

We looked into this when we first started 8 years ago.

Although we found a vet that was happy to supply the vaccines they wouldn't supply the cards, which meant there was no proof that the animal was vaccinated and even if they had supplied the cards we where told they have to be signed by a vet or vet nurse. So that makes them void for people wanting to board rabbits etc.

Did you not ask the suppliers for the cards or possibly companies such as petplan who make their own?

Maybe drawing up your own provided they were signed and marked with the vial stickers could work.

Its something I will ask about next week.

Im £18.10 for one vhd injection :shock::rolleyes:
Although i had patch and benji in getting neutered on friday and got 5 vhd injections and got £40 off it all which was good. The vet had enough for 10 dozes and as i only needed 5 he had to bin the rest as they said it had to be used within 3 or 4 hours. They normally order them individually in.
Goodluck Sooz :D:wave:xx

We often have problems with pups and kittens who have had their first vacc done at the breeder, by the breeder, and its signed by the breeder and not a veterinary professional. VERY often there is no date on the cards!!!!! The poor owner then has to chase the breeder/vet who supplied the vaccs OR in many cases, has to start a full course again as the breeder gets funny/can't be contacted!

I think the best thing to do is to ring round all the surgeries and have a chat with the practise manager/Vet to see if they will happily supply the vaccs and cards (dated and stickered by you and signed by them once the vaccis given, which means popping the card along to the surgery as and when). I know some vets happily do this if you can come in and 'do a practical' infront of them to show you are capable and others that absolutely won't so its pot luck really as to who you have in your area :?
Alternatively it would be to ask a vet if you can bulk buy at cost/discounted price and pay a visit fee to have a batch of buns done at once.

Hope you find a cooperating surgery! :D

One of my vets justifies the high vaccination fee by saying that you get a health check at the same time :roll:

I can understand that an inexperienced rabbit owner might want their pet to have a health check, but I to me it's just a waste of time and money :evil:.

Sooz, even if your vet won't let you do the vaccination yourself, they might let you buy the drugs and just charge for the vets time. It can't take more than a minute to vaccinate a rabbit, so you could get approx 10 done in a standard 10 minute consulation, at a cost of around £15.

Amy

Back