• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Has neutering changed your bunny?

Has neutering changed your bunny for the better!

• No changes

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • Yes

Votes: 26 83.9%
  • No

Votes: 3 9.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

k.mdaniels

Alpha Buck
I have two male Lionheads that are almost 9 months old, they both live outside in separate hutches. They are not neutered.
They are not agressive bunnies but hate being handled.

I just wondered if getting them neutered would help put an end to the problems I have listed below:

1- Both bunnies do no like being handled, which makes grooming and vet trips
a misery!

2 - Leon sprays his scent and pees in house but only on the carpets
(thank god for 1001)

3 -For past few months Sammy puts up a struggle being taken out of his
hutch, he has growled a few times at me.

Im not looking for a miracle as I know sometimes neutering doesnt improve things but just wondered if it did the majority of the time.

no question, have them neutered. best thing you can do for them!! Easy!!

no agression/terratorail behaviour, no spraying or humping ankles....

most buns dont actually "like" being picked up, its in their nature to want to be close to the ground where tehy feel safe. however, Harvey leaps up on the top of the sofa to be king of the castle all the time, so I guess that theory isnt always true... lol

Neutering should put an end to all the issues you have listed but dont expect the changes to happen over night.

Ideally bucks should be neutered as soon as their plums drop (I have two 15 week olds here who have finally dropped today!) to prevent these behaviours from ever starting.

The one thing neutering alone wont fix is handling but it will help calm them making it easier for you to win their trust, and certainly eliminate territorial aggression.

hes a lot more fussy now..... he still wont allow us to pick him up but he actually demands to be stroked now.... still buzzing too but its getting less with each week :cry:

Can't say that neutering has changed any of mine... two of my girls might be slightly more affectionate now, but I haven't had any problems with them before either. The one thing that I did notice though is that the smell of their urine is a lot less potent. :D

My lionhead wouldn't be picked up before neutering and still won't:lol: He has always been very affectionate before and after but I feel he seems a little less timid now - but that could be down to the fact he now has a wife.:D

Always changes buns for the better in some way or another IMO. Im sure it will help with the spraying and although the handling I feel you need to work on by just spending more time getting them used to it, I do think it will relax them both more as the hormones will eventually be gone that are making them feel competitive towards each other (even though in diff hutches, know each other are there), they won't be constantly horny, and they will feel braver as they won't feel the need to defend their territory as strongly due to hormones.

Good luck :D

Definately changed my bunny, he's less terrortorial(sp), he doesn't spray wee at me and he's really playful and cheeky now! :lol:

He seems alot happier! :D

Maisie has stayed as she was before being spayed, although she doesn't build nests any more.

Benjamin Fairweather has become territorial and aggressive since being castrated, although he was a very sweet bunny prior to being done.

Last edited:
Absolutely. Poppy was ok in winter but when longer daylight kicked in she becomae a complete psycho - she would charge around madly grunting and snapping as soon as anyone came into sight, and i still have scars from where she bit me THROUGH leather gloves. :shock: since i got her spayed she is an absolute darling, really easy to handle, willing to be medicated, great with kids, loves cuddles, follows me round like a dog. :D i'm so glad i had it done!

Yup - agree neutering will help solve your problems. You could even think about bonding them when their hormones settle as bunnies are, in general, happiest with company ;)

Neutering will effect behaviour that is hormone driven so most likely to help with marking and territorial aggression. It's less likely to have a big impact on learned behaviour, which means they are unlikely to suddenly enjoy being picked up. You may find though that without the hormones it's easier to interact with them and get them more used to handling as a positive thing.

Tamsin

This is a great result! Thanks to everybody who has taken part.

Im not really bothered about the handling thing, as long as their happy.

More questions:-

They both live outside. Will I have to bring them inside for a couple of nights to keep an eye on them and so that hay and straw to disturb their stitches?

I dont have enough room in the house for two large cages so I assume it would be ok to get them both done a few weeks a part, can you still put wood shavings in the litter tray whilst they have stitches?

Do you have to go back to vets to get stitches taken out or do they dissolve?

Hi. It is best to keep them indoors for a night or two post-op, but they won't need large crates, as it's best to keep them in a smaller area to prevent them bouncing around too much. The stitches are usually dissolvable ones, or glue.I used a combination of vetbed and old towels for bedding and in the litter trays until I felt there was no problem with the wound.

Back