• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

The essential rescue kit...

Sooz

Wise Old Thumper
WHAT DOES IT TAKE TO DO RESCUE?

Your rescue "kit" should include:

A heart of gold to accept those creatures that don't measure up as "perfect" in the eyes of the rest of the world.

The people skills of a salesperson to convince those that are looking for perfection that they will find it in a rescue rabbit if they are willing to look a little deeper.

A heart of steel to be able to say no when there just isn't any more room for just one more bunny.

The knowledge that you can't save them all.

The ability to smile and speak rationally when the 10th person for the day says "I don't want this stupid rabbit anymore, take him or I am gonna put him down."

Some medical knowledge or your rescue vet bill will be bigger than the national debt.

The fine art of fund raising so your vet bill can be reduced to just under the size of the national debt.

Patience for breeders who don't care, won't help, turn their backs and say it's not their problem.

Patience for rabbits that were incorrectly placed and come to rescue with so much excess baggage that you think they will never be adoptable.

Patience for owners who want a quick fix.

Patience for a world that no longer looks at life as a gift and the lives that are created as nothing short of miracles.

A sense of humor because sometimes a smile on your face is the only way to hide the agony and turmoil in your heart.

A husband with housekeeping skills that are so outstanding that they could be highlighted in Good Housekeeping Magazine, so you can devote your time to all the rescues and be secure in the knowledge that the local Board of Health will not condemn your house.

Personal rabbits that will tolerate the never ending stream of four legged orphans, waifs and street urchins that will start arriving the moment you say "I have room."

Children that like being the "token" child to socialize every bunny that comes thru the door, being able to say "good with kids" is a real selling point.

Magician skills so you can change anything that comes thru the door, from Brown Dwarf lop male, into Agouti French Lop female, easy to handle and litter trained. ;)

The ability to face the paperwork head-on and deal with it or someone you can send it to and say "Here, do something with this mess!"

Grooming skills for those ugly ducklings waiting for their chance to be a swan with a little help from you.

Last edited:
So true! Big pat on the back to all the rescues on here :D :rabbit2:

Also reminded me why I could never run a rescue, even tho' I've got the space. :roll:

Amy

WHAT DOES IT TAKE TO DO RESCUE?

Your rescue "kit" should include:

A heart of gold to accept those creatures that don't measure up as "perfect" in the eyes of the rest of the world.

The people skills of a salesperson to convince those that are looking for perfection that they will find it in a rescue rabbit if they are willing to look a little deeper.

A heart of steel to be able to say no when there just isn't any more room for just one more bunny.

The knowledge that you can't save them all.

The ability to smile and speak rationally when the 10th person for the day says "I don't want this stupid rabbit anymore, take him or I am gonna put him down."

Some medical knowledge or your rescue vet bill will be bigger than the national debt.

The fine art of fund raising so your vet bill can be reduced to just under the size of the national debt.

Patience for breeders who don't care, won't help, turn their backs and say it's not their problem.

Patience for rabbits that were incorrectly placed and come to rescue with so much excess baggage that you think they will never be adoptable.

Patience for owners who want a quick fix.

Patience for a world that no longer looks at life as a gift and the lives that are created as nothing short of miracles.

A sense of humor because sometimes a smile on your face is the only way to hide the agony and turmoil in your heart.

A husband with housekeeping skills that are so outstanding that they could be highlighted in Good Housekeeping Magazine, so you can devote your time to all the rescues and be secure in the knowledge that the local Board of Health will not condemn your house.

Personal rabbits that will tolerate the never ending stream of four legged orphans, waifs and street urchins that will start arriving the moment you say "I have room."

Children that like being the "token" child to socialize every bunny that comes thru the door, being able to say "good with kids" is a real selling point.

Magician skills so you can change anything that comes thru the door, from Brown Dwarf lop male, into Agouti French Lop female, easy to handle and litter trained. ;)

The ability to face the paperwork head-on and deal with it or someone you can send it to and say "Here, do something with this mess!"

Grooming skills for those ugly ducklings waiting for their chance to be a swan with a little help from you.

I applaud you for doing what you do. Saying no would be my biggest issue. I guess that must be one of the hardest things for you to do.

Back