• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Why are hutches so expensive?

Pipstrel

Mama Doe
I would like a 5 ft hutch as that is all the space I have however I want it to be 3 or 4 ft deep, double storey, obviously nobody has this exact size but all the people who custom make them charge and arm and a leg its rediculous. Looks like i'm going to be building it myself at this rate!

Anyone know of any good companies who custom make them for a reasonable price? Tried Happyhutch and their quote was ludicrous!

Helen x

Have you tried looking at play houses? My local shed company has a play house that is 5ft x 3ft and is 4ft high (so a shelf could be put in if wanted?). Not sure on the exact price £100-£150 I think (available with or without the veranda!).

Hannah

I have looked at some playhouses and there are some on the internet that are fairly reasonable. Just wondered if I could get a hutch for a decent price. A playhouse might take a bit more persuading my bf tho as its his lawn it will be going on!

Can't afford it yet anyway have got to save up for a few months first :(

Hi. If you decide on a bespoke hutch then I'd advise you to get it no deeper than 3' unless you've arms like a gorilla!! My double hutch is 5x3 and I reckon much deeper would give me problems getting to the back of it for cleaning.I had mine made by Mr Buns and I paid a lot for it, but it was worth every penny when I compare the quality with others I've seen.

I agree that sheds are the best value for money :D - and if you add up what it'd cost to build it yourself, you'll probably be surprised how much the materials add up to! :shock:

I agree that sheds are the best value for money :D - and if you add up what it'd cost to build it yourself, you'll probably be surprised how much the materials add up to! :shock:
That's so true. When Rog made me the spare runs he was surprised at the cost of the materials and said at the time that he couldn't see how people can make a living out of building runs etc.

That's so true. When Rog made me the spare runs he was surprised at the cost of the materials and said at the time that he couldn't see how people can make a living out of building runs etc.

I agree, I was lucky that a local feed merchant was selling weld-mesh cheap when I started to make my new run.

I have a playhouse for my two and it's great! It keeps you dry when you're cleaning out and mine's got a proper electric light. It is also esy to adapt it to your rabbits needs, for example, Inky has a bad foot at the mo, so I've taken the shelf out but they still have plenty of space inside.

Hope and blue have a playhouse and its great .
if i didnt rescue all my buns would have playhouses . much easier to clean than hutches .

unfortunatly havent the space with all the rescue hutches . :?

I had my hutch and run custom built by PetProperties for £140 plus delivery of £30.

The hutch is 4ft adn the run is 4ft. the hutch is on 2 levels and excellent quality build...

Adrian I think he is called: www.petproperties.co.uk

hth

:wave: Im having a ryedale hutch made, they are expensive but apparently they are really good :D Im getting a double story 6ft hutch and its £320 without delivery. I asked them to make them a bit higher and put shutters and bolts on though so that would bring the price down a little if you didnt have them x

Thanks everyone I really like the all in one with the bedroom bit off the ground but it doesn't look that big (the bedroom bit that is). Have only got a small garden so can't have a shed, need to think about a playhouse or something. It won't be until spring anyway when we have cut the hedge down and encouraged the grass to grow a bit :?

Back