• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

my new rabbit

i was given a rabbit 2 weeks ago , i believe its 2 years old and a male.
now the first 2 days , he was happy to be handled and stroked ect... but recently he has started jumping everytime we attempt to go near him , i even got a scratched leg the other day. He is a house rabbit and i would love it if he was happy.
any suggestions of what to do to make him happy ?

i was given a rabbit 2 weeks ago , i believe its 2 years old and a male.
now the first 2 days , he was happy to be handled and stroked ect... but recently he has started jumping everytime we attempt to go near him , i even got a scratched leg the other day. He is a house rabbit and i would love it if he was happy.
any suggestions of what to do to make him happy ?

Hello :)

Is he neutered? If not then he is likely to be very 'hormonal'. Getting him neutered is likely to calm his behaviour down

Most Rabbits dont like being picked up. They are prey animals and would only be picked up in the wild if they were about to be eaten :shock::cry:
I would try getting down to Buns level, sit on the floor and allow him to come up to you. Having some tastey treats to feed often works well. Spending time with him and allowing him to take things at his own pace will eventually give him more confidence.

Good Luck

Janex

thankyou
will i have to take him to the vets to find out if he is neutered?

would getting another bunny help , because i would really like 2.

lea x

I like 2 see more than 1 bun to keep each other happy,when i just had 1 she started to act like a dog as she was always around mine:lol:now she has got 2 buddies and is very happy,rick

right , thanks , so i am now going to print your repky off and show my husband and tell him to go and buy another bunny from pets at home straight away !

lol, eventually going to get my own way !
x

You could neuter the bunny you have at the moment and then search this site for a rescue in your area. That way you could adopt an unwanted bunny and find your original bun the perfect lady friend ;)

Yes it'd be better for all parties if you adopt one from a rescue rather than buying one from a pet shop - for a start, not all bunnies get along with eachother, and if you buy one from a shop you won't find out if they get on till it's too late. If you take your current bunny to a rescue they will be able to bond him with a lady rabbit for you - much less stressful!

You say you don't know if your rabbit has already been neutered - where did you get him from? His previous owners should know. if not I would do it asap, he will become much more tractable then. good luck with your bun :)

If you're sure he's a male then you can check to see if he still has his 'bits', if yes then he's not been neutered. To be on the safe side I would take him to the vets for a check up and arrange for netering if needed. I agree with the other posts about visiting a rescue as they can help you find the right partner for your bun as some bondings don't go very well. And you get to give and unwanted bunny a happy loving home. The rescue will probably spay the female before allowing her to be rehomed so this can also help with hormonal problems and help with bonding.

Good luck with your new bunny.

agree with all the above posts it is best to take to a rescue plus you will be helping find a bun ahome. all rabbits have different personalitys and while some will fight he may fall in love with another... so its best to do a speed date to find a local rescue let us all know ur location and we can point u in the right directions. also make sure neuterd before bonding as this makes it easier apparently and i would let him hav his jabs first too but congrats on ur new addition xx

Back