• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Question about new bunny introduction

Riley1186

New Kit
So we've had our Dwarf bunny Riley for about 3 months now and she's about 5 months old. We decided today to get a new girl, she's a dwarf/mini lop mix named Jester and she's only about a month and half old.

Our knowledgeable local pet store said it would be ok to have them together and i dont doubt that, but i'm just getting worried about Riley bullying Jester a little bit.

We had them in a neutral area for about 3 and 1/2 hours and they got along wonderfully, and they get along pretty good when they are around the apartment. They chase eachother and then start sniffing and then Jester runs away suddenly, could Riley be biting her to show dominance, theres is no batting with their paws and they dont make any angry bunny noises just chasing eachother really fast. Please help me ease my worries

Normal behaviour in bonding is chasing, mounting, fur pulling and bum nipping. Abnormal is circling, lunging, biting around the head and 'locking on', growling or screaming.

What you have described sounds normal and the best thing you can do is leave them to it and not interfere. Have you neutralised their future living accomodation so that when they are placed there together a fight does not break out over the new girl invading Rileys space?

Are you planning to have them both neutered at 6 months to prevent any hormonal fighting?

Normal behaviour in bonding is chasing, mounting, fur pulling and bum nipping. Abnormal is circling, lunging, biting around the head and 'locking on', growling or screaming.

What you have described sounds normal and the best thing you can do is leave them to it and not interfere. Have you neutralised their future living accomodation so that when they are placed there together a fight does not break out over the new girl invading Rileys space?

Are you planning to have them both neutered at 6 months to prevent any hormonal fighting?

Yes i'm looking into getting them both neutered at the same time

Back