• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Poorly bun - Updated - RECOVERED :)

Woodlouse

Mama Doe
Ant seems to be having problems :(
Looking like he's heading towards GI stasis or has bloat. Managed to get a foster bun through a similar thing a few weeks ago, but this is my own boy so I'm WORRIED :(
Have offered him lots of fresh hay but no interested :( Tried treats and greens - not interested :(
Currently sitting in his normal space in the living room looking a bit sorry for himself :(

Will keep trying tummy rubs and getting him moving. Have SS Recovery so will syringe if needed .

Know I've read on here about Infacol. Obviously, with it being Boxing Day it may be somewhat difficult to get some ... but if I do, how much?

Help gratefully received - thanks x

Last edited:
Aww hun, sorry to hear Ant is poorly, sounds like you are doing all you can, no idea on the infacol sorry. Hope he gets better soon x

I'd give him 2ml of infacol. My Sophie wasn't eating earlier this week, was so worried :(

Sending loads of vibes xxx

Last edited:
1-2mls every hour to start with. Simeticone, the active ingrediant, is inert and its near on impossible to overdose.

Lots of (((vibes))) X

He definitely last ate at about 5 - came down the stairs for a treat, like her normally does. Has since then been flopped out in his normal space, rolling on his side like he does and looking chilled. Then he suddenly hunched himself up and wee'd in the corner (which he NEVER does).

Can't say for definite on the poo I'm afraid - 2 buns sharing trays!

He did eat LOADS and LOADS of hay about 3.30pm - he and Hoops were at the hay bag for at least half an hour ... surely that won't have caused the prob tho?

Thanks for all the help - no joy on the chemist ... hardly surprisingly :(

No, not straining ... just the usual bunny going to do a wee pose I think!

Now sitting up in his corner and looking realy quite alert ... but has turned his nose up at the carrot my OH is offering him :(

I have some infacol in hun. You are welcome to come and get it. Im not too far from you :D PM me if you would like. :D Hope you get poops and eating soon. Sending vibes :) x

Thanks Steph - have located a Tesco Express not far from here that has some and is open til 10, so will go and get some asap. Have just called the vet for advice and the nurse is getting vet to call me back. x

No, not straining ... just the usual bunny going to do a wee pose I think!

Now sitting up in his corner and looking realy quite alert ... but has turned his nose up at the carrot my OH is offering him :(

Just because you said it was out of character and that he is showing possible signs of pain I wondered if it may be a UTI rather than bloat (currently), although stasis etc is often a secondary condition anyway.

Just a thought.

Thanks Steph - have located a Tesco Express not far from here that has some and is open til 10, so will go and get some asap. Have just called the vet for advice and the nurse is getting vet to call me back. x

Good luck hun. Do pick up some corriander if they have some, always seems to tempt mine. I had the same thing on Christmas Eve with my Frenchie :roll:

Have spoken to vet now (although sadly not one that has filled me with confidence in the past :( )

She thinks it may be a UTI. Have moved him into the dog crate so that we can monitor what comes out [Hoops is well p'd off cos she can smell the SS pellets we put for him, but can't get them!!]

He's still quite alert - ears up etc. Seems to be doing little wee's in places other than the tray (and thinking about it there were 3 little stains on the carpet last night in the bunny room).

Vet happy to not see him unless we are more worried. Advised to syringe feed later if necessary and take him to our vet tomorrow morning.

Is this sound advice??

Have spoken to vet now (although sadly not one that has filled me with confidence in the past :( )

She thinks it may be a UTI. Have moved him into the dog crate so that we can monitor what comes out [Hoops is well p'd off cos she can smell the SS pellets we put for him, but can't get them!!]

He's still quite alert - ears up etc. Seems to be doing little wee's in places other than the tray (and thinking about it there were 3 little stains on the carpet last night in the bunny room).

Vet happy to not see him unless we are more worried. Advised to syringe feed later if necessary and take him to our vet tomorrow morning.

Is this sound advice??

If he has a UTI then he needs antibiotics and pain relief. If he is showing obvious signs of discomfort then I am not sure I'd want to leave it til tomorrow to start treatment :?

Janex

Can't make up my mind what to do with him. He's definitely not himself but is rolling on his side (like happy rabbits do) in his litter tray in the crate ...
Confused what to do for the best??

UPDATE 2200h

We have poo :) Lots of soft smelly caecal pellets (though he definitely ate some) and now some normal ones - smaller than normal but hard and pretty much the usual colour :)

Feeling a little more positive now ... though still not interested in food :( Fingers crossed that emergency vet run not needed.

[Hoops is trying to break into the dog crate to get to him ... or all the food!!]

Update - Midnight

Ant has produced a few more hard poo's but still not interested in food :(

Have started syringing the SS Recovery - he's not exactly willing but managed to get 5mls into him and will try another 5mls soon.

Come on Ant, get better ... you have a very worried bunny mummy and daddy!

Back