• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Collars on Rabbits

catswhiskas

Warren Veteran
Seen some pics on net of bunnies and they have what look like cat collars on..... ? Do any of you put collars on your buns?

Seen some pics on net of bunnies and they have what look like cat collars on..... ? Do any of you put collars on your buns?

No. I think they are hideous.
Buns are prey animals and IMO they should not be forced to wear a collar or a harness.

Just a personal opinion :)

Janex

No. I don't think I'd ever try it, personally. ^^
Actually, I doubt either of mine would allow me to do so... Barney especially would think I was strangling him.

I certainly wouldn't recommend it. We had a rabbit brought in for adoption and he suffered fur loss round the area where the collar lay. They don't need one, so I defnitely wouldn't use one.

There's also the argument that they're prey animals and the feel of something restrivtive round their neck would make them feel 'captured'.

Mine wear a harness when they're out on the leads but thats it. I don't see the need for them to wear collars though. They don't need one.

i would never put a collar on my bunnies

what if it got caught on something when they were jumping around

No sorry don't have any pics of my buns with collars on, my buns would be so scared if I tried to put collars on them :( (not that I would)..

Its a broken neck waiting to happen.

Dogs have been known to hang themselves on collars, imagine the likely hood of it happening to a rabbit :(

Absolutely NOT!, rabbits are not 'toys' to be dressed up and I really think that if anyone puts a collar on a rabbit they are cruel, a rabbit is a prey animal.

They should be banned!!

I used to put a bunny lead on egg and donut so they could go out in the garden before it was bunny proofed.
I agree it would be better not too, but until you are confident there are no nooks or crannies that they can wriggle out of, it's better to have a lead on than lose a bunny.
I also put one on Tuesday for his first time out in the garden as I wasn't sure how he'd cope, and whether he'd be easy to catch or not.

Ultimately, if the bun is not bothered by it, then it's fine. If they are bothered by it, then definitely best avoided.

Tbh, I doubt a socialized bunny is going to have any more issue with a collar/harness than being picked up. A nervous bunny might have an issue but the same as if you picked them up or did anything out of the routine.

However, it's not safe while they're not under direct supervision and even then it would need to be a safety collar (with an emergency break).

You'd need a good reason to do it though - I don't agree with decorating animals just for the sake of it :)

Rabbits shouldn't wear collars, as they can get stuck in things.
You can't walk a rabbit like a dog and wearing a collar with a lead on would cause too much strain on the neck, harnesses are much better for such uses, but you should NEVER leave a rabbit unattended wearing a harness or it could get tangled up, whether in a bush or in the harness itself:cry: (That happened to mine when their harnesses were too big:cry:)

well i have one bunny who loves being on a harness, peanut butter! he binkies whilst on it and has never shown any panic, however when i tried it on jelly she hated it, and since then have never triewd it on any other bunny cus i dont want to ditress them to 'see' if they mind. as i KNOW peanut doesnt care i do use on himf rom time to time as he lvoes exploring the garden, you can see it dusnt bother him. however.....i wud rather they WERE banned cus the thought of a small child pulling their pet rabbit about is too awful:(:(:(:(

as for collars. no. if its not of an use its not tfor their benefit!!!

well as everyone knows here my Duke wears a collar while hes romping around so i can hear where he is and also because my dog wear their he seem to think he should have one as well if he doesnt have one on while hes running about the house he chews the dogs ones of and come running up to you with it!!!:shock::lol: the dogs ones are £50 each and i have 2 dogs so thats £100 worth of collars chewed up in minuites id rather hed wear a collar in the house than replace them everyday:shock:

Back