• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What's wrong with Inky's paw? U/D Back for the vet.

FriskyClover

Warren Veteran
I'm hoping someone can help me. Further to my earlier threads (http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=111174 and http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=111423), Inky's right-front paw is still not better. I've come to the conclusion it can't be 'just' bruised and that there must be something in it, or that perhaps it is an abcess (someone on another forum mentioned this idea).

He's had baytril for 5 days(in case of a cut) but it is still not right. He holds it up off the floor when he's resting and is reluctant to use it when he hops. There is a painful spot in the middle of the underside but he twists away if I try to look at it or feel the area. He has really fluffy feet, so it's difficult to see if there is anything there.

It's breaking my heart, this will have been going on for 2 weeks this coming Sunday and he still can't hop around or binky:(. I don't really know what to do next, the vet is of the opinion that it's just bruised and will heal on its own and seems to think I'm over-reacting but I know my rabbits! Do I push for an X ray and see if something comes up and/or push for a second opinion (either at my vets or another)?

Last edited:
I'm hoping someone can help me. Further to my earlier threads (http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=111174 and http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=111423), Inky's right-front paw is still not better. I've come to the conclusion it can't be 'just' bruised and that there must be something in it, or that perhaps it is an abcess (someone on another forum mentioned this idea).

He's had baytril for 5 days(in case of a cut) but it is still not right. He holds it up off the floor when he's resting and is reluctant to use it when he hops. There is a painful spot in the middle of the underside but he twists away if I try to look at it or feel the area. He has really fluffy feet, so it's difficult to see if there is anything there.

It's breaking my heart, this will have been going on for 2 weeks this coming Sunday and he still can't hop around or binky:(. I don't really know what to do next, the vet is of the opinion that it's just bruised and will heal on its own and seems to think I'm over-reacting but I know my rabbits! Do I push for an X ray and see if something comes up and/or push for a second opinion (either at my vets or another)?

Will Inky allow you to dip his foot in some cooled boiled water? This may make it easier to see any signs of a foreign body/abscess once all the fur on his foot is wet. You will also be able to see any signs of swelling/inflammed skin around the toes.
Personally I would push for a second opinion. Is he on any pain relief? I know that will only mask the symptom but it must be miserable for him after 2 weeks of pain :cry: I think the Vet needs to do a bit more 'investigating'

Janex

Will Inky allow you to dip his foot in some cooled boiled water? This may make it easier to see any signs of a foreign body/abscess once all the fur on his foot is wet. You will also be able to see any signs of swelling/inflammed skin around the toes.
Personally I would push for a second opinion. Is he on any pain relief? I know that will only mask the symptom but it must be miserable for him after 2 weeks of pain :cry: I think the Vet needs to do a bit more 'investigating'

Janex

Thanks for the reply Jane.

He has had a couple of pain killing injections and I wish I had pushed for some pain relief I could give him at home. Regarding the water idea, I will try it tomorrow (when my mum is back home, she's really good with rabbits)although he is not he most cooperative of rabbits:roll:!

I'm going to take him to the vets again and ask to see a different vet and see if that makes any difference. I'm just really worried that if I don't get this sorted out soon, he might end up with something really serious.

Thanks for the reply Jane.

He has had a couple of pain killing injections and I wish I had pushed for some pain relief I could give him at home. Regarding the water idea, I will try it tomorrow (when my mum is back home, she's really good with rabbits)although he is not he most cooperative of rabbits:roll:!

I'm going to take him to the vets again and ask to see a different vet and see if that makes any difference. I'm just really worried that if I don't get this sorted out soon, he might end up with something really serious.

If Inky gets too stressed wth you and your Mum trying to examin his paw then it may be better to get the different Vet to do it under sedation. (Inky sedated, not the Vet :lol:)
Please let us know how you get on

Janex

If Inky gets too stressed wth you and your Mum trying to examin his paw then it may be better to get the different Vet to do it under sedation. (Inky sedated, not the Vet :lol:)
Please let us know how you get on

Janex

Will do Jane. I'm going to try to examine his paw today and take him to the vets tomorrow morning (or this evening if it looks serious), that way I'll hopefully have a bit of information to go armed with.

He does seem a bit brighter today but I wonder if that's because I've put old carpet down on the floor of the run (the neighbours think I'm mad:lol:), so it is obviously more comfortable on his paw.

I'll keep you posted on what I find.

FC xx

So, I have had a look at Inky's paw.

I soaked it in water (bless him, he was so good), while my mum held him and although I still couldn't see very much, there is a definite swelling at the base of his middle toe. I wonder if it could be dislocated? Anyway, I am going to pop him to the vets(and see a different vet) tomorrow.

A big thank you to Jane for suggesting getting his foot wet, I would never have thought of trying that one.

So, I have had a look at Inky's paw.

I soaked it in water (bless him, he was so good), while my mum held him and although I still couldn't see very much, there is a definite swelling at the base of his middle toe. I wonder if it could be dislocated? Anyway, I am going to pop him to the vets(and see a different vet) tomorrow.

A big thank you to Jane for suggesting getting his foot wet, I would never have thought of trying that one.

It could be an infection around the nail base. Hopefully the Vet you see tomorrow will be able to help Inky

Janex

So we are back from the vet.

I saw a different vet today, she is really good with rabbits and was the one who fixed Inky's broken toe. She adores Inky:lol:!

She had a really good look and said that she is sure it's not broken or infected but she thinks he has sprained it quite badly (and he had muscle wastage from not using it:(). She has given him Metacam for painkilling and imflammation (he's to have 10 drops a day to start with then knocked down to 5 after 5 days, does this sound right?). She said to try this for 2 weeks and if it still isn't better, to go back.

Hopefully, this will work!

Back