• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Are they OK to eat Heather

bunny babe

Wise Old Thumper
Katy is chosing to eat the heather in my garden over anything else at the moment (I have a different thread on her condition - quiet and not eating). She does sometimes eat it and had no ill effect.

Is this OK for them to eat? Why would she choose to eat this over her spring greens/carrot which are normally her favourites.

Yes heather is fine, in the wild heather will be the last thing a wild bun eats, its not that tasty but they will eat it if there is no other grazing. she is probably doing the same as all the plants and grasses have died back for winter. It won't harm her, mine have their own heather pots to munch in winter although they aren't that keen! They are still munching the grass! My previous bun Vin loved munching heather.
She obviously has taken a liking to it!

Thanks, that has reassured me. She normally grazes all day on grass and it just seemed strange she was preferring this as she is unwell.

Back