• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding - It's all gone wrong :-(

tigerbabe

Mama Doe
Poppy and Mishmash met at the rescue on the 16th. They got on and came home on the 21st. Everything was fine, they were grooming and laying together.
Until yesterday! I was cleaning out the other rabbits and heard a scuffle, I split it up but Poppy had lost a lot of fur. I brought her in to my bedroom and sat with her on the bed then brought him in. Agagin everything was ok, they were in my room under my eagle eye for about 4 hours without a single problem. She humped his head a couple of times and he didn't bat an eyelash, and she was laying with him and grooming him.

So I Put them back in the shed, and stayed out there with them. Again no problems... grooming, sitting together etc.
So I left them overnight... big mistake!
I go out this morning and there's fur everywhere - all Poppy's, I called her and she came out of the little hutch.

I had to go to my sisters today so I brought her in again and she's been in my room all day. Mishmash is out in the shed alone.

So it looks like Mishmash is going to have to go back to the rescue :cry:
He's so gorgeous... not just the way he looks but he's so sweet too.

And I don't know what to do aboout Poppy.

I don't really understand what's gone wrong between them. She's not scared of him, they fight and she goes back for more. With Jack they never actually had a fight, he used to chase her and she'd run away terrified.

I suspect it may be the smell of the other Rabbits that is setting off refered aggression. It seems Poppy and Mishmash were OK in your Bedroom where they could not see or smell any other Rabbits :?

Janex

i had the same thing with domino and pebbles for the first few months. i moved them away from other buns for 2 months and now they can go in there run alongside other buns and not care, but at first he would go for her if he smelt another bun, especially his dad!!!

Are there other rabbits living in the shed? :?

no...the nearest rabbits are in a seperate shed

P1060137RESIZED.jpg

Poppy and Mishmash are in the white shed and the girls are in the wooden shed. The run's empty cos Jack is at the rescue being bonded.

ETA - I brought mishmash in again tonight to give it another try in my room and they had a fight within about 15 minutes. It's not hate at first sight though because they sniffed each other and walked by each other etc with no signs of aggression until they had the fight.

I really don't want to send mishmash back but at the moment I can't see any other option :cry:

Last edited:
please grin and bear it..its usually a 4 week minimum bonding session..others who have an easier quicker time are very lucky.

I have had wilow since march and have been bonding on off for months and then intesive bonding which was going terribly thanks to bif.....
when my boiler broke down it meant living togehter in one area 24/7 and suddenly bif stopped biting..then bertie came bad tempered then he stopped..then willow beagn being a bully then she stopped and they were moved into the floor playpen in the lounge and then bandit became the problem..biting only willow.

ive been sleeping on my settee for weeks overnite and havent been able to leave the house without a babysittter for them lol

today there was an almighty scrap and i couldnt get up no matter how i tried but they seemed to stop and i saw bandit was fine albeit very quite.

a few hours ago theyd been all day without bandit niping willow and i saw bif and wilow washing each other..bandit has washed bif..and bertie has washed bandit many times now..and suddenly there was a huge pile of loved up buns fast asleep.

but overnite it could go downhill but then again it may get better.

many times ive got upset and given up till the wounds healed! but so far so good its all quiet fimgers crossed.

never ever give up..it takes a lot of time and a lot of patience.

Unfortunetly they seem to hate each other now, the second they're near each other they fight... you know the kind of fight where you end up with one whirling ball of rabbit.
Poppy's taken to weeing/spraying when she see's him, and once they start fighting they won't stop unless I split them up and remove one of them from the situation.
Poppy always seems to be the one to come off worst yet she still has a go :roll:

I honestly don't think there's any chance for the two of them. I'm going to speak to the rescue tomorrow and see if she thinks it's worth Poppy going back and trying with another rabbit but I don't hold out much hope.

Her ex-bun Jack has been at the rescue since friday and has been tried with 3different females but apparently he just seems to hate them so I think he'll end up on his own too... although to be honest I think he'd be happy with that.

Good luck with your gang though Purplebumble :thumb:

Hi

Im going to reply to your PM now, the advice I am going to give you is what I would try myself and assuming the rescue you got mishmash from is unable to rebond for you which would be the best step.

If you were closer I would offer to do it for you :(

Hi

Im going to reply to your PM now, the advice I am going to give you is what I would try myself and assuming the rescue you got mishmash from is unable to rebond for you which would be the best step.

If you were closer I would offer to do it for you :(

I haven't got a pm from you... either you haven't sent it or the forum's being awkward - I know which my money's on ;) :lol:

Back