• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

No poo.... what do I do U/D little poo!

bunny babe

Wise Old Thumper
Hi
Noticed this afternoon that one of my bunnies who is always "on the go" was very quiet. I went to give aher a bit of carrot and normally she would snatch it and run away, she turned her nose up.

I called the emeregency vet and told him that she was quieter than normal, she had done poo during the night last night but I had not observed any today (only because have not been looking). I have seen her wee. He asked me some other questions and said that it did not sound like an emergency. I told him I had some science recovery I could syringe feed and he advised me to do this and to keep an eye on her breathing (which seems OK). She has been cleaning herself.

I have brought her in and syringe fed her, that was 2 hours ago and she has not done any poo or wee since then. Should I be worried now. Do I give her infacol as a precaution, if so how much? At what point to I just take her to the emergency clinic?

Last edited:
Can you have a feel of her tummy. Does it feel harder than normal ? Does she show signs of discomfort when you massage her tum?
Is she eating anything of her own accord?
You can give Infacol for gas in the intestines but if her stomach (mid upper abdomen, just below where the ribs meet) is bloated anything going in *might* make it worse.

If she has not poo'd all day and is not eating then IMO she does need to see a Vet this evening.

Encouraging her to move about can help gut motility and she should also be drinking.

Janex

Last edited:
Jane, thanks for your quick reply, I tried to get her to run round this afternoon to encourage poo. I will call vet now.

Have just got back from the vet.

He is not conclusive as to why Katy is quieter than her normal "very" lively self and gone off her food. He checked her over thoroughly and felt/listened to her tum. In fact she actually looked like she was enjoying him feeling her tum area as her back legs started to stretch out (so she was not in pain). Does not think it is teeth.

As a precaution he has put her on Baytril (7 days) in case there is an infection. Her temp was 38.7 which I believe is normal.

I will keep syringe feeding her and get her moving and see how she is tomorrow. She is semi interested in food but then only nibbles a little. She has just had a good drink of water.

Please send Katy some get well vibes.

Hi - update for this morning. Thanks for the vibes.

Katy is much the same as last night. :( I left her around midnight with spring cabbage, carrot, grated carrot, pellets, mushed up pellets, grass and hay - nothing was touched this morning (I had just fed her SR).

She has not done a poo (did do a wee) all night. She is still quiet and not eating, I gave her three pieces of "grow your own" grass stuff and she ate them OK but refused a fourth piece.

I have given her some more science recovery (5ml) this morning but I am running short of it as it was left over from Homer on Wednesday (the vet did not have any at the practice last night). The vet did mention something called BSP(?) which could help to stimulate her appetite but he could not get any of that until later today if someone else brought it from another practice.

It is very strange that he said if I had not told him of her symptoms he would say she was a healthy rabbit.

Is there anywhere I would be able to get some more science recovery today? I am also mushing up her Oxbow but she is not tempted by that. I am going to the shops later to get some more herbs etc.

I was not sure before if I heard her "crunch" her teeth just once. Could I give her a drop or two of metacam (she weighs 1.6kg), would it do any harm?

Yesterday my hubby did see her pulling at one of the heathers we have and eating a bit (they do sometimes have a munch at this) - as this was the only thing we saw her eat is there a reason why she would want to eat this over grass (she is normally like a little lawnmower!!)

I really don't know what else to do at the moment.

Last edited:
Hi - update for this morning. Thanks for the vibes.

Katy is much the same as last night. I left her around midnight with spring cabbage, carrot, grated carrot, pellets, mushed up pellets, grass and hay - nothing was touched this morning (I had just fed her SR).

She has not done a poo (did do a wee) all night. She is still quiet and not eating, I gave her three pieces of "grow your own" grass stuff and she ate them OK but refused a fourth piece.

I have given her some more science recovery (5ml) this morning but I am running short of it as it was left over from Homer on Wednesday (the vet did not have any at the practice last night). The vet did mention something called BSP(?) which could help to stimulate her appetite but he could not get any of that until later today if someone else brought it from another practice.

It is very strange that he said if I had not told him of her symptoms he would say she was a healthy rabbit.

Is there anywhere I would be able to get some more science recovery today? I am also mushing up her Oxbow but she is not tempted by that. I am going to the shops later to get some more herbs etc.

I was not sure before if I heard her "crunch" her teeth just once. Could I give her a drop or two of metacam (she weights 1.6kg), would it do any harm?

I really don't know what else to do at the moment.

Hello

I am sorry that there has been no improvement :cry:
I think Katy needs to see the Vet again this morning as it appears that her guts have stopped working.
TBH I was somewhat :? that the Vet just gave Baytril yesterday when there was no obvious sign of infection but very obvious signs of pain/reduced gut motility :?

Anyways, Katy may well need gut motility meds as long as the Vet is sure that there is no GI obstruction. She will need pain relief too and probably some subcutaneous fluids. Dont be affraid to question the Vet if he/she says Katy does not need treatment. Obviously I am not a Vet and I have not seen Katy, but I really dont think a course of Baytril is what she needs right now. Also, giving antibiotics to a Bun who's tum is not working *might* make matters worse, particularly if the antibiotics are given orally.

Syringe feeding is OK but if the Bun's stomach is actually not emptying force feeding will make matters worse. The food will sit in the stomach and ferment causing a gas build up/more bloat.

Rabbits guts often stop working as a *secondary symptom* of another problem, possibly tooth related. So I'd quiz the Vet about this too.

Good luck and please let us know how you get on

Janex

Last edited:
Think I have a little bit of poo....... just let her out in the garden with Homer and she went to their toilet area and there are the smallest of poos (about 5 tiny formed ones). I will keep a close eye on her over the next hour or so and then make a decision about another visit to the vet.

10 mins later......a wee an about 5/6 more little poos:D. She is now pulling at my heather again and eating it - are heathers OK??? - they have eaten it previously with no ill effects?

We are on full poo alert now 200% watching her every move.

Last edited:
Lots of vibes for her.

I find that if I can get my lot to move when they have GI stasis, it does seem to help their guts to move again.

Back