• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fighting???!

foxyfaerie

Mama Doe
I'm looking to get a lionhead off a breeder and she's just emailed me and said that

I only sell them in ones, as I dont find they live together too well - they fight Im afraid

Surely she doesn't mean all lionheads? Does she mean that hers have a "bad" temperament, or is it that they perhaps aren't correctly introduced & bonded, or perhaps it's all lionheads?

I'd love a lionhead but not if it's going to be stroppy, I've got enough of that with Lucifer! :lol::lol:

Early last year lionheads were a very 'fashionable' breed to own. Consequently last summer we found loads came into rescue at about 6 months old when they matured and developed hormones and hormonal behaviour issues.

Rabbits from breeders will not be neutered and bonding a un-neutered rabbit is hard work and they will often fight.

All the lionheads I have had in have bonded successfully after neutering with the exception of one female.

I dont think you are likely to have any more issues bonding a neutered lionhead than any other breed UNLESS this breeder has some inbred genetic temperment problems in their lines, which is a possibility.

We have two lionheads, both male and both have been the easiest to introduce and bond (out of our 11). :D Elvis thought he was in heaven and humped for England at first but that soon became boring and stopped. Stanley was a terror for the first 20 minutes and then suddenly became everybuns best friend.

My opinion would be that breeders tend to keep their animals as individuals for obvious reasons and are probably not the best people to speak to regarding bonding. The exception would perhaps be a breeder who also has their own "pet" rabbits which have been bonded. I would suggest that you take on a lionhead from her with the understanding that you will return him/her if he/she doesn't bond happily with your existing buns. Also a good idea to take yours with you and let them choose their own mate if possible.

Maria x

Back