• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Poorly bun advice needed

toadflaxbex

Warren Scout
Hey, I had a poorly little girl tonight. i went down to feed her and she wasn't eating, and was lying down legs spread out so instantly i knew it was probably a poorly tummy. Sat with her for a while and managed to grab her and rubbed her tum for about 5 minutes. She went back into the hutch and started eating her hay, but not her pellets which she loves!
Anyway i gave her a little treat which she nibbled on and have just left her eating her timothy.
Called the vet and he said she will be ok and to just keep her warm, take her in doors. The thing is now she is eating her hay do I do as he says and bring her in doors. The thing that bothers me is she gets stressed easily and I don't want to give her any stress if it isn't needed.
So my question is... Do i bring her in, in her in door cage with her man, or do i leave her where she is used to.
I want to do what is best for her, so if bringing her in is better for her, even though it is stressy thats what i shall do.
Advice would be great and I thank you in advance.
Merry Christmas

I would be tempted to say keep her outside if that's what she's used to. If she has a friend to keep her company, and to keep her warm, that will probably be less stressful for her.
I think it's a good sign that she's eating her hay. Whenever mine have tummy aches I make sure they move around a lot (and if necessary infacol, tummy rubs and cooled boiled water).
Hope she feels better soon.

I would bring her inside and put her and her partner into a dark quiet area of the house.

If she is left outside and declines in the night she may struggle to control her body temperature which means you could have a very poorly rabbit come morning.

One of my foster carers had this two days ago and I recommended she brought her pair in for the night until Megan was eating all her meals again.

Thankfully she is fine now and ate a full pellet breakfast this morning.

She is eating her pellets now, had a small drink. You still think i should bring her in? They have loads of hay and a snugglesafe but if I should bring her in I will

I too think you should bring both Buns indoors

Has the poorly Bun done any poo today? Even though she is nibbling hay I am concerned that if she has not passed any poo she may need to be seen by a Vet tonight.

Janex

She is eating her pellets now, had a small drink. You still think i should bring her in? They have loads of hay and a snugglesafe but if I should bring her in I will

Better safe than sorry. Provided they are put somewhere quiet with the light off or a towel over the cage they will be fine.

She has been in her litter tray, not sure if she poo'd though as she shares the tray. I just left her eating her pellets. I will go and see in a min but hard to tell if she poo's as they share the tray. :'(

She has definitely poo'd Just inspected the litter tray and fresh poo on top and it is hers, don't ask me how i know i just do for some reason. Hers is more hay coloured his is more pellet lol
Anyway got their cage ready in the hall, loads of hay and a litter tray and just spent about 45 mins trying to catch them. hutch is a three tier and we just couldn't once we got hold they kicked and wouldn't let us keep hold. So put about another half a bag of hay in, a snuggle safe and more warm water and me and O/H gonna take in turns to check on her in the night. She is back to her old self now. Constantly eating hay, all pellets are gone and she is very active.

Back