• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Treatment for cancer

LurcherGirl

Mama Doe
I have just talked to my vet about the lab results regarding a lump that was removed from my rabbit Sunny last Monday. Sadly, the results aren't good news... it is an carcinoma of undetermined origin (it is under his chin/by his throat). It is according to my vet the worst possible type of malignant tumour! And although it has been removed with a good margin, it could possibly have been spread due to it being so close to the jugular vein...

When I talked to my vet, I wasn't in a state that I was able to ask lots of questions - though I will do that after Christmas when it has all sunk in a bit.

I've just had a quick look about carcinomas on the internet (it's the first time that one of my larger animals has cancer, so I have no idea what I am dealing with at the moment), and a drug called taxomifen has come up for treatment of many types of carcinomas. Do any of you wise guys know about this drug? Is it even available in the UK? Is there any other possible treatment that you have experience with?

Sunny is luckily absolutely fine in himself, the wound has healed up great! Luckily he is blissfully unaware of the sorrow he is causing us right now!

Vera :cry:

It's used to treat breast cancer in women I think. I used it a few years ago on a rat with mammary tumours - I think it did help slow it down. I had to order it online - didn't need a prescription at the time. I'm not sure if it's still available or not.

I did check with my vet first and get their okay :)

You'll probably find more info on it used with pet rats, I don't know what the effects might be in rabbits though or whether it would help with the tip of tumour she has.

http://www.ratfanclub.org/tamox.html

Oh, I did find one on rabbits: http://homepage.mac.com/mattocks/morfz/carcinoma.html I guess then that it can be used in rabbits.

Thanks, Tamsin. It's the second article that made me aware of this drug. I will have a chat to my vet after Christmas and see what he thinks! He will be prepared to look into it further if he doesn't know... Unfortunately the lab could not determine the origin of the tumour, so I guess, we can only try...

Vera

My gran took Tamoxifen for cancer which had spread to her bones. It did prolong her life for about 4 years after diagnosis but I don't know how well it works in smaller animals.

Back