• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Harvey collapsed...Thanks to the two Janes

Snowy

Wise Old Thumper
Last night at about 11 pm I was giving the bunnies there medications, I injected Harvey and as I finished he collapsed and fell on to hi side, I was in such a panic as I thought he'd had a stroke or a seizure, I rang Jane Dexter who rang the emergency vet for me and then rang Jack's-Jane and got her out of bed, I was crying uncontrolably down the phone to her, when she could decipher what I was saying she was so supportive and helpful, she gave clear instructions as to what I should and shouldn't do and it worked, Harvey made a good recovery and by midnight was sat up being washed by Harriet.

This morning he is back to normal.........thank goodness, it really was very scary as I thought at one stage he had left for the bridge

Thank you so much to both Janes for the support and advice.

Blimey it was rather :shock::shock::shock: wasn't it.
What a relief that the old Bun recovered and is now OK :D:D
I am glad your Vet Paula was also able to reassure you this morning.

Honestly, these Bunnies will drive us all into an ealry grave !!

Janex :wave:

:shock::shock: What a horrid shock.

Im glad he is OK now though. Well Done to both Janes :wave:

BTW The thread title seems to suggest he collapsed BECAUSE of the Janes, careful not to tarnish their sparkling reputations :lol: ;)

Oh bloomin' heck :shock: I've heard about that happening following injections if you accidentally hit a vein/artery (can't remember which).

Hope Harvey makes a full recovery, nose rubs to the little man :D

Amy

Glad he is feeling better Theo. Merry Christmas to you, hubby and all your furries.

Helen x

He looks a lot better now thanks and Merry Christmas to you and your family and the gorgeous Piper and Minstrel x

What a horrid shock.

Im glad he is OK now though. Well Done to both Janes

BTW The thread title seems to suggest he collapsed BECAUSE of the Janes, careful not to tarnish their sparkling reputations

Yes it was really awful, because we both thought he had 'gone', he was floppy and unresponsive, he scared the s**t out of me!!:shock:

When I put that title I read it back and laughed at what I had done, but no there were not to blame:lol::lol::lol::lol:

eap!

Glad everything is ok - tell the buns to stop giving you heart attacks

Yes Anna, it really did scare us and I nearly did have a heart attack!!

Oh bloomin' heck I've heard about that happening following injections if you accidentally hit a vein/artery (can't remember which).

Hope Harvey makes a full recovery, nose rubs to the little man

Amy

Yes, I thought I had hit a vein but now I think it was more 'shock', I was injecting him with depocillan which is kept in the fridge and I took it out and didn't wait for it to get to room tempreture:shock::shock::shock:, I won't be doing that again!!

Have given him lots of nose rubs.

Thanks everyone

:shock::shock: What a horrid shock.

Im glad he is OK now though. Well Done to both Janes :wave:

BTW The thread title seems to suggest he collapsed BECAUSE of the Janes, careful not to tarnish their sparkling reputations :lol: ;)

I thought that too:lol::lol:
Sallyx

Thanks everyone, he is still running around with Harriet and they have just opened their Secret Santa Christmas present!! hopefully he will be fine now, I am just dreading the next time I have to inject him:shock:

Thanks everyone, he is still running around with Harriet and they have just opened their Secret Santa Christmas present!! hopefully he will be fine now, I am just dreading the next time I have to inject him:shock:

Glad to hear he is OK Theo

Merry Christmas :wave:

Janex

god that is scarey, glad he's o.k!! i am injecting my bunny at the moment so please share with us what you did when he collapsed so we can be prepared! My antibiotic is also kept in the fridge, so i shall leave it to warm up as i usually use it straight away!

god that is scarey, glad he's o.k!! i am injecting my bunny at the moment so please share with us what you did when he collapsed so we can be prepared! My antibiotic is also kept in the fridge, so i shall leave it to warm up as i usually use it straight away!

Yes, it was horrible and I hope it never happens again

Well, Harvey is on depocillan which needs to be kept in the fridge, I, very stupidly, took it straight out of the fridge and injected him with it, we *think* that the shock of the cold made him collapse, I should have left it to get to room tempreture first before injecting, anyway, I held his head high at the front so that the air could get to him and stroked and calmed him because his breathing was through the roof and he was make awful gurgling noises as he was breathing, I did this for about 10 minutes and talked to him very softly and then I cuddled him still making sure that he could breath as much air as possible, after about 20 minutes he started to respond again and his eyes came back into focus, it took him about an hour to recover and then I gave him a snugglesafe and kept him warm and quiet, Harriet was with him the whole time and was nudging him and watching what was happening, when he started to recover she started to groom him and I am sure that helped him, he was wobbly on his feet for about an hour.

Just don't panic like I did, I was beside myself, hope it helps.

Of course, we are not *sure* what happened but it is the most likely answer, by the time the vet saw him he was back to normal.

thanks for that vital info!! It's always best to be prepared! I would have paniced just like you!!! I have started taking my antibiotics out ofthe fridge before using them as i would never have thought to do that.
thanks very much and so glad Harvey is o.k
Lisa and the buns

thanks for that vital info!! It's always best to be prepared! I would have paniced just like you!!! I have started taking my antibiotics out ofthe fridge before using them as i would never have thought to do that.
thanks very much and so glad Harvey is o.k
Lisa and the buns

Thanks and yes he is back to normal thank goodness, I really freaked out though when it happened and poor Jane and the other end of the phone trying to get sense out of me...........oh well, I hope it never happens to anyone else.

PS Have I missed a magazine?

the last magazine was out in october and the new one is out in April, If you ever have any stories you'd like to share for the mag please drop me a line!

Back