• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

unruelly bunny!!!! Help

Alpha

Warren Scout
Im not sure whats happened to my loving bunny. He has become so norty just lately. I have given him more freedom by allowing him use of the garage while im out at work. It is heated and carpeted and had all toys and play boxes in it so he isnt bored. he also has the company of his wifebun JoJO. He is neutred and has always been very affection character. But since giving him this room he has become totally spoilt. He was never terrorital over his cage before. And always came and nudge out ankles for a cuddle.

NOW he has started to lunge at us, and bite awful. I dont understand the change in him. I think this is probably for attention as the foster bun (who has now been rehomed) has taken up a lot of our time and not being summer he has been restricted to indoors and not been allowed in the garden. But i cant go on with him being so norty. I need to show him this is not acceptable but how do u do this to a rabbit???? In the past i realise we have reinforced his behaviour by cuddling him or stroking his ears when her has barged at us. I was thinking that i shud keep his travel carrier and each time he bite me or charges me in the garage i shud place him in it for 5-10 mins. Does anyone think this is cruel. Im at a loss as what to do ???? Or should i use his cage and place him on lock down in there for a while????

any help or advice please welcome??

wish i had some to give you.... i dont think normal dicipline works with bunnies :(... ive read the high pitched eeeeeekkkkk is supposed to tell rabbits they are hurting you but other than that i have no idea what you could do...

does bribary not work?

Im not sure whats happened to my loving bunny. He has become so norty just lately. I have given him more freedom by allowing him use of the garage while im out at work. It is heated and carpeted and had all toys and play boxes in it so he isnt bored. he also has the company of his wifebun JoJO. He is neutred and has always been very affection character. But since giving him this room he has become totally spoilt. He was never terrorital over his cage before. And always came and nudge out ankles for a cuddle.

NOW he has started to lunge at us, and bite awful. I dont understand the change in him. I think this is probably for attention as the foster bun (who has now been rehomed) has taken up a lot of our time and not being summer he has been restricted to indoors and not been allowed in the garden. But i cant go on with him being so norty. I need to show him this is not acceptable but how do u do this to a rabbit???? In the past i realise we have reinforced his behaviour by cuddling him or stroking his ears when her has barged at us. I was thinking that i shud keep his travel carrier and each time he bite me or charges me in the garage i shud place him in it for 5-10 mins. Does anyone think this is cruel. Im at a loss as what to do ???? Or should i use his cage and place him on lock down in there for a while????

any help or advice please welcome??
I don't think prey animals understand the norty corner time-out thing, and your relationship with him would worsen because he would not understand or trust as much, or feel as secure. I think it is strictly territorial, that this is his garage now and he is trying to communicate that to you! I would let him be, and I'm sure he will settle down soon once he knows you know it's his manse :D

bunnies do understand - our rabbits know that a sharp 'NO' followed by their name means stop what you're doing right now... or else!

Bunnies also understand your behaviour too - one thing I used to do with ours was in the carrier - facing the wall, and turn my back on them purposefully (if you have been deemed to have done something bad, they will do this to you too ;) )

Alternatively I hold them upside down - repeat 'Egg/Tuesday No' and hold them for a few seconds without looking at them, and pay them no attention when I let them back down.

You're not giving your furry monsters enough credit - they do understand, and pick up these things...!

I have a great book about rabbit behaviour - i'll have to dig it out

bunnies do understand - our rabbits know that a sharp 'NO' followed by their name means stop what you're doing right now... or else!

Bunnies also understand your behaviour too - one thing I used to do with ours was in the carrier - facing the wall, and turn my back on them purposefully (if you have been deemed to have done something bad, they will do this to you too ;) )

Alternatively I hold them upside down - repeat 'Egg/Tuesday No' and hold them for a few seconds without looking at them, and pay them no attention when I let them back down.

You're not giving your furry monsters enough credit - they do understand, and pick up these things...!

I have a great book about rabbit behaviour - i'll have to dig it out

Alvin knows hes being norty cus he enjoys me chasing him.. he probably only misbehaves when im there to watch :evil:

i think ill treat myself to that book in the new year, little demon wont know whats hit him :lol::lol::lol::lol:

:) thanks to everyone - i will try a few of these things and let u know how it goes.. I will also get that book.......

cheers all

abbie

Anna, you hold your rabbits upside down? :shock:

Upside down - as in tranced - not head at the bottom! eap!

like this sort of:

bunny-in-trance-picture.jpg

Back